Author Topic: C9 coolant quantity  (Read 2399 times)

Steve Funk

C9 coolant quantity
« on: March 03, 2018, 02:59:03 AM »
I am getting ready to do a coolant flush and am wanting to know how much CAT ELC coolant I will need to purchase.  I know it has not been for three years that I have owned the coach so probably time to get it done.  I'm going to try and figure out how to drain the radiator, block, and heater core.  Any other advice would be appreciated.  I'm also going to flush it a couple times before the final refill.

Thanks
Steve

Bryan Beamon

• BAC Member
Re: C9 coolant quantity
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 03:57:53 AM »
Steve, we recently had our engine thermostats replaced in our C9 and the coolant replaced which took 9.5 gallons. Hope this helps.
C & Bryan Beamon
2006  to present
2007 Contessa 42ft Cat C-9 400hp
1996 to 2006 97 Beaver Patriot Camden

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 03:07:41 PM »
Steve,
If your coach has ethylene glycol coolant (green coolant), it is defiantly time to change it, but if it has ELC (red coolant), I would have it tested before changing it. If you have ELC, you may just need to add an extender for an additional 3 or 4 years of use before changing it is required.

I have found that the easiest way to get the old coolant out of the engine block, heater core, Aqua Hot heat exchanger, and associated hoses is to just flush the system with fresh water several times with the engine getting up to operating temperature before draining it again. Then using distilled water on the last flush, and using 2 gallons of full strength to start the coolant refill (assuming that there is about 2 gallons of clean water left in the system), before installing any 50/50 premixed coolant.

Gerald

Steve Funk

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 03:30:51 PM »
Yes Gerald it is time to flush the ethylene glycol.  Thanks  for the tips on how to accomplish this task much appreciated.

Steve