Author Topic: inverter  (Read 4530 times)

marty christensen

inverter
« on: March 15, 2018, 04:59:40 PM »
I have a question on my inverter.  It seems to operate normally, but 1 volt low.  With AGM house batteries and a Magnum 3000 inverter, the book shows 14.1 bulk, 14.3 absorption and 13.1 float.  The settings have been programed for 400 amp AGM batteries.  My remote shows 1 volt lower than the above.  The book says at 13.1 float charge the charger turns off until the voltage drops to 12.9 and then starts the float charge again.  Since the most I get on float charge is 12.2 to 12.4, the inverter is always charging on float.  My question is..... can the inverter be adjusted to charge approx 1 volt higher or is running as it is normal or OK??  I think it has always work this way since I purchased the coach.  I seem to having trouble now getting the patio awning to retract.  Not enough voltage.  I have just replace the batteries yesterday

Marty Christensen
08  Contessa,  400hp cat

Magum inverter

Gerald Farris

Re: inverter
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 06:23:16 PM »
Marty,
It sounds like you have a defective (shorted) battery temperature sensor. Check your inverter, if you have a battery temperature sensor plugged into the battery temp sensor port, unplug it, and see if it cures your problem. If there is no battery temp sensor or if it does not correct your problem, call Magnum Technical Support, and they will help you diagnose the issue.

Gerald

marty christensen

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 03:37:54 PM »
Gerald,  thanks for the response.  I see a battery temp port, so I will unplug it and give it a try.  Is this something I can leave out if it cures the problem?

Marty

marty christensen

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 04:52:35 PM »
Gerald, I did remove the cable and the charging immediately jumped up to 13V where it is supposed to be.  I looked at the batteries and also around the inverter for the actual sensor and could not find it.  Where would it be?  Do I really need a sensor?

Marty

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 06:49:40 PM »
Marty,
There are several possibilities here. First, there could be a bad temperature sensor that was taken off your negative battery post (intended location), and just stuck back in a corner. Second, and I have seen this, the inverter was replaced and the shorted control cable for the old inverter was plugged into the battery temp sensor port.

As you can see, the inverter will function well without at battery temp sensor, but if you want to spend a little time (depending on distance and obstructions between the inverter and batteries) and a few dollars on installing a new temp sensor, the inverter can charge your batteries at the optimum rate for their temperature which can be a benefit to you batteries and extend their life, especially in a high temperature environment. However, if you spend all of your time on full hookups in a location that never gets above 70 degrees F, you do not need a battery temp sensor.

Gerald   

marty christensen

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 08:55:31 PM »
Gerald,  I think I will contact Magnum and order a new sensor.  I am the original owner of the coach and this is original inverter.  I remember it always working like this.  Probably the factory connected the cables and never installed the sensor.+

Thanks for your help.
Marty

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 11:46:23 PM »
Marty,
I do not think that Magnum will sell you a sensor, since they want you to use their retailers. The Magnum battery temp sensors are available online from Amazon and numerous other retailers. The thing that you need to know before you order one is the length of cable that you need since they come in 15, 25, or 40 foot lengths. The sensor is made into the cable end and sealed, so a length adjustment is not easy. You can look for the correct sensor by Goggling ME-BTS- and the cable length you want like ME-BTS-40 for a 40 foot cable.

Gerald   

Paul Aronson

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 02:06:28 AM »
I have a similar situation with a Magnum 2812 inverter/charger. I looked at the charging current with and without the temp sensor connected. I did see the correct voltage change (depending on ambient temperature) when doing this. Also in doing a lot of checking previously I found the DC connection at the inverter loose. Caused almost a full volt drop across the loose connection.

My short term solution was to use the AGM2 battery seclection on the Magnum which is a little higher voltage output. I monitor the charging voltage and current regularly so I am not overly concerned about this setting. Do find it frustration though.
2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder Winchester III
45' C-13 525 Hp
2013 Chevy Traverse

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 06:22:41 PM »
Some comments in this thread have me thinking..(not sure that's a good thing). When my batteries are low, and either the AGS starts the generator or I plug in to shore power, the first charging mode is always bulk...then absorption...then float. As long as I am plugged in the status remains float when it gets there. I have always assumed that meant my house batteries were fully charged. The OP mentioned "float charge". Is there charging going on while in the float status?
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 06:43:31 PM »
Stan,
From the manual:
Float Charging – At the end of the Absorb Charging time, the charger reduces the charge voltage and tries to maintain the batteries at the Float Charge voltage setting. This is determined by the SETUP menu’s 04 Battery Type setting as shown in Table 3-4. Info: If the battery voltage falls ≤12.1 VDC (12-volt models), ≤24.2 VDC (24-volt models) or ≤48.4 VDC (48-volt models), the unit will begin Bulk Charging.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 06:51:43 PM »
Our Xantrex Freedom PSW 3000w inverter goes through the three steps as described - bulk, absorption and float - then sits on float to maintain the batteries (both the house and chassis batteries) showing 13.6v to 13.7v indefinitely on the Aladdin screen.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 08:35:57 PM »
Our Xantrex Freedom PSW 3000w inverter goes through the three steps as described - bulk, absorption and float - then sits on float to maintain the batteries (both the house and chassis batteries) showing 13.6v to 13.7v indefinitely on the Aladdin screen.

I have the exact unit, so I guess I'm okay. Thanks.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

marty christensen

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2018, 03:56:20 PM »
Guys, I have one more question on BTS.  I have ordered a new cable and of course it is not going to be easy to install a new cable from the inverter to the batteries.  Is there any problem in cutting about 1' off the sensor cable at the battery contact point and just splicing the new sensor to the old cable??  The wire from the inverter is surely going to be good.  It is just wire.  The sensor is the defective part.  I thought I could solder the 2 wire parts together for good contact and just seal it up.  Turns an all day project into 1 hour or less.

Marty Christensen
08 Contessa,  400hp
MAGNUM INVERTER

Gerald Farris

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 04:32:42 PM »
Marty,
In theory you idea works, but in the real world, there may be problems. The first issue is how good are you at soldering wires? If the connection is not really good, there will be a change in resistance that will affect the accuracy of your BTS enough to make it problematical, and in that case, you might as well not have one connected at all. The other problem will arise if the connection is not sealed well enough because it will be in a very corrosive area that is also exposed to high moisture at times. If you are confident that those things are not a problem in your case, go for it.

Gerald

marty christensen

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2018, 01:33:35 PM »
Gerald, thanks for the reply.  I will have to think about it a while. 

Marty Christensen
08 Contessa  400 hp