Author Topic: Help with purchase of '99 Patriot Thunder  (Read 15011 times)

JimCasazze

Help with purchase of '99 Patriot Thunder
« on: January 17, 2011, 05:23:12 PM »
This weekend, we will conduct a pre-purchase inspection of a 1999 Patriot Thunder.  The rig has about 100,000 miles - but appears to be in excellent overall condition.

I have started a list (now 3 pages) of things that I need to inspect and test.  This list has all the obvious items (tires, heat, a/c, electrical, plumbing, etc.) that I could think of. We also intend to bring the rig to a Cat dealer to inspect the C12 engine and transmission.

What I'd like to ask the group, particularly Patriot owners, is if they know of any specific areas where these coaches have known problems.  I'm sure the folks here have vast knowledge in what we might need to look for.

Any suggestions and/or comments would be most welcome.  

Thank You
Jim
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 02:48:18 PM by 5 »

Ron Johnson

Re: Help with purchase of '99 Patriot Thunder
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 08:08:14 PM »
Brakes - there was an issue on some of these chassis with the brakes overheating so the rotors, calipers, bearings should be checked.
E-brake - it is a driveshaft brake so can wear out
Coolant lines - to and from the radiator and the SCA filter. The routing of these small lines brought them too close to the manifold sometimes.

Just a few I could think of I am assuming the 1999 and 2000 Thunders are similar.

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 09:11:15 PM »
If it helps here are the issues i learned about when i purchased my 99 marquis two years ago.

I made the owner take it in to a truck dealer for service of the chassis and engine as well as the brakes and transmission.  They checked the trans and engine electronics for faults and did the required upgrade to the ECm on both.

What i did not catch was.  Hurricane heater would not work (bought it in july)
Satellite system would not work.
Batteries needed to be replaced
A/C compressor was leaking freon.
Slide leaked
generator was in need of a service
everything needed lubrication
step worked sporadically
Grey and Black tank valves had to be replaced

Do not let this scare you all was repaired with little expense and some bloody knuckles.

I actually enjoyed repairing these problems it taught me where and how the coach functions.

Steve Lercel

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 02:51:08 AM »
If your pre purchase falls out of inspection, I have a very clean 2000 40' Patriot/Princeton with only 42K miles. 330 Cat boosted to 430 HP, along with a new style Hydro Hot by Rixson just 1 year ago. Many,many more upgrades to list here. I have all maintenance records. No smoke/no pets. Wife died is reason for selling. Make me a decent offer!!
Steve Lercel
951-306-6697
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 04:59:26 AM by 14 »

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 12:24:30 PM »
Hello ZigZag
I suspect that all Beaver owners could answer this and each answer would be a little different.  
First there are better coaches on the market but not for the original price range so plan on some repairs.  When we agreed on a selling price, we left room in the budget for some serious repairs.
Here are some of the main things that I have learned are common to most Beavers;
All Girrard awnings that were recessed into the sidewall leak.  Look for water stains on the cloth wall covering by the door and dining area.  The repair involves removal of the awning and sealing the box into which it is recessed.
Update the Norcold refer for recalls.  This is usually free but a call to Norcold will provide answers.
Leaking skylight.   This is a maintenance issue that is often overlooked by previous owners and can be resolved by removal of the old sealant using a heat gun and applying new Dicor or Acular caulking.
Check the date codes on the tires.  They often look new but six years is about the limit regardless of tread.
The Hurricane (as mentioned above) is a good system but has some limits that mostly require cleaning and service (filters etc.)  Rixxon Ent. in Sandy Or. can help with info and several upgrades that increase performance.
Seals on the slideout are a common issue as they should be lubed each year but are commonly left to dry out and harden.  This can be spendy but better than repairing the flooring and so on.
Lastly, look the roof over very well for soft spots and cracks or leaking seals and plan on replacing the marker / clearance lights with new gaskets as these are common leak areas.  LED lights are getting cheaper and work much better.

Meanwhile, take your time with these things and enjoy your motorhome.

God bless
Keith and Carol Moffett
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 02:50:30 PM by 5 »
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 01:12:43 PM »
The original Hurricane heater has been notorious for its problems...would highly recommend a replacement, I had a 99 Pat T and could never keep it working.

The other major issue is the Emg/park brake.  As mentioned it it can wear its pads also, BUT the biggest issue is that on mine it fell OFF, three times.  It was a stupid design to begin and the major reason I got rid of the P.T.  GREAT ENGINE THOUGH!

Edward Buker

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 03:04:37 PM »
I'm not sure if all the years of Magnum chassis had the same wheel well issue. On my coach the weld on the end of the "metal straps" that holds the wheel well plastic in place had cracked and broken free on several of the straps. They were just butt welded on the end and vibration cracks the welds. The straps on the front of the front wheel wells seem to be the most susceptible due to the air flow there.

Keith, what do you use on your slideout seals to lube/protect them? I was under the impression that they did not need any maintenance.

later Ed

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 04:59:07 PM »
Ed the black slideout seals contain a UV inhibitor and the white seals do not. If you use something Protect-all makes a spray on that you can use. Like any rubber do not use a product with petroleum products in it.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 06:44:31 PM by 14 »

JimCasazze

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 05:01:56 PM »
Thanks to all who have replied so far.  I had heard about the awning and parking brake issues - so I'll be taking a close look at those.

Regarding the other things mentioned so far, I appreciate all the advice.

Jim

Edward Buker

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 09:30:08 PM »
Thanks Richard....will look for it.

Later Ed

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 01:39:40 PM »
Ed and Richard
I have been told the same thing but also the opposite.  In fact there is also a vid on youtube from a reseller in Mischigan (Holliday Rambler I think) who shows what to use (a foam lube) and how to do it.  The whole thing takes about ten minutes and keeps the black seals flexable.
Leah
I dont have your experience in a MH.  I have found that the Hurricane is one point where opinions go oposite directions in different shops.  I spent alot of time at ITR in Vancouver WA and at Jim Rixxon ent. in Sandy Or.  After further reading on this forum it seems that all hydronic systems  need work and good service is sometimes hard to find.   The original install was most of the problem with the Hurricane but it can be fixed.  Rixxon's convinced me of that.  Sure do want to get that Comfort hot system though.

Hope to see you all down the road
Keith and Carol
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Phil And Carol Upham

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 02:00:24 AM »
We have a 2000 Patriot with the 330 hp Cat.  We had significant handling problems in which we replaced the stock Bilsteins with Konis.  We also installed an air valve motion control system and the handling was corrected.  Our rig had disc brakes in which the front discs were found to be cracked and required new rotors.  Associated with the rotors are brake fluid changes, old fluid is damaging in so many ways.  The master cylinder on our rig is in the front where the front jack is located.  Rear mounted radiator had to be removed and cleaned due to becoming so dirty that it overheated on long hills.  We placed a small box on the slobber tube that has to be drained at every oil change.  No matter how you position the tube it still has a fine mist that causes dirt to collect on the radiator.  The Hurricane System has its reservoir in the rear and can be difficult to access once you find it.  We service the Hurricane seasonally depending on use.  It gave us fits initially but has been reliable with consistent service.  Most service people have no clue about the Hurricane.  Beaudrys in Tucson serviced it in 2009 and did more harm than good despite their claims of being trained in it.  Hurricane is still in business and are very helpful on the phone.  We had to rebuild the inverter, just became an unhappy camper one day.  The satellite system has been replaced, we got a dome this time.  The PAC Brake has not had any issues for us but I have heard where it can be an issue.  Windows, SE-GI have all snaked but not failed.  We will eventually have them rebuilt for about $2000.
I wish you luck with your purchase.  We have about 32000 miles on ours.
Phil

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 06:14:16 PM »
on the issue of slide out seals and any plastic/rubber product the black option is the best simply because it has a  graphite fill to color it .Graphite inhibits UV degradation. White materiel has no graphite in its composition. This from my sailmaker.  The white plastic zips on sailbags etc last less than half the time the black ones do.

Steve Lercel

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 06:37:52 PM »
I also found replacing the original shocks with 6 new Koni's made a big difference. Constant problems with the Hurricane forced me to have Jim Rixon in Sandy,OR replace it with his new German made unit. You can't even hear this one run and annual maintenece can be performed by yourself in about an hour. I also replaced the Sat Dish With the new Moto Sat HD system. Problems were over after that. Not cheap, but the best!!!!!!

JimCasazze

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 03:07:06 AM »
Well, it's official.  We are now owners!  Thank you to all for your suggestions and assistance.

Ran our new coach from Va. Beach to SW Florida over 2 days and all went well.  Weather was mid 20's for 2 nights and the Hurricane worked pretty well (a bit cool up front, but nice and warm in the stateroom).  

Lots of little things that need attention, but that was expected.  Also, quite a few things that I haven't figured out yet, but looking forward to learning.

If anyone has a service manual or might know where to get one, Please let me know.  I did find the '95 manual on a link from this site, but it is seems quite a bit different.

Again, thanks to all and we look forward to meeting with the club
J&K