Author Topic: Primary fuel filter fittings question  (Read 3016 times)

Will Hansen

• BAC Member
Primary fuel filter fittings question
« on: April 05, 2018, 09:36:56 PM »

I’m preparing to install the Cat fuel priming pump upgrade on my C9 as documented by Steve Huber. The input and output of the old filter are connected to the fuel line using fittings with arms as shown in the attached photo. My questions involve these old connectors themselves. First, what are they and how do they work? Are they a quick release? And secondly, are they reusable in my new pump installation?  It looks like cutting them off and installing all new fittings will necessitate more fuel line re-routing. Deviating from Steve’s instructions, I don’t think I need or want an elbow on the pump output as current fittings seem to be in exactly the positions I need for the new pump. Comments and suggestions?

Thanks!
Will and Carla Hansen
Zoe the Yorkie-Pom (ol' Eagle Bait)
2007 Contessa Laguna
C9 400hp Cat
2015 RAM 1500

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Re: Primary fuel filter fittings question
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 09:49:35 PM »
the connectors that you have are very bad per Dave Atherton, Dave is our CAT Master Mech and he's recommended changing this snap on (air Leaker) connection. Dave is  member you should contact him directly for information.

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13
The following users thanked this post: Will Hansen

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 10:01:43 PM »
The fittings are Voss plastic oring fittings that will probably break trying to get them apart and are prone to leak and suck air.
I've replace all mine with Parker brass air brake fittings. The fitting into and out of the filter housing is usually a SAE O-Ring piece. If you know the size of the in/out ports on the filter housing and the size of your plastic fuel line I can look up the proper fittings to convert.

Dale Soule

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 11:24:06 PM »
Will, There are Parker type fittings in Steves list, I believe one is a 90deg. But I had to cut about 3" off my hose in order to have room.
2006 Beaver Monterey Montclair IV
Chassis: Magnum
Engine: C-9-400
Dale Soule'

Will Hansen

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 01:16:44 AM »

Thanks guys. That’s what I suspected but had to ask. I’ll cut them off. I have Steve’s part list and will use the Parker fittings specified. I know the guidance for this mod is Dave A. and I’ll contact him if needed. (I met Dave at Q in Jan. and had him run his diagnostics on my engine) Getting the new pump properly connected to the fuel line is my only real concern in this project.  I’ve never done a compression connection on plastic hose so I guess I get to learn how😢

-Will
Will and Carla Hansen
2007 Contessa Laguna
C9 400hp Cat
2015 RAM 1500

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 04:50:27 AM »
Will, the brass air fitting something that is real easy to install. First cut plastic line as close to present connection as possible. Than look at brass air fitting, first install the hex nut on plastic hose. Second
Put on brass Farrell on plastic hose and third put steel insert in center of plastic hose. Next bring the
Brass fitting into play and connect the above to fitting body and tighten up. Pretty hard to miss up.
I mention use of a brass air fitting the same type used on today’s air systems. Use of this type of
fitting will provide a air tight connection on your fuel connection also.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Will Hansen

Will Hansen

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 03:29:07 PM »
Thanks Dave! I appreciate your guidance!
-Will
Will and Carla Hansen
2007 Contessa Laguna
C9 400hp Cat
2015 RAM 1500

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 03:56:54 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFpZfr0YQ28

Youtube showing how to put together a compression fitting on both metal and plastic feed lines.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 04:13:22 PM »
Good write up by Dave, make sure that the brass air brake fittings have the steel insert (usually stainless) for the plastic tubing, we found that without the insert the connection will leak down the road, another thing we would do is after you make up the fitting remove it to make sure the plastic tubing is fully inserted into the base fitting. It is very easy to let the tube slip a bit while tightening up the nut.
One other note: after you cut off the tube clean it real good with brake cleaner to get the crude off which can cause a leak.
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Will Hansen