Author Topic: Tow system or use a trailer.  (Read 5353 times)

Gary Merrifield

Tow system or use a trailer.
« on: July 11, 2018, 01:11:44 AM »
What is the best and easiest tow bar to use
Or is it easier to use a trailer?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 12:25:21 AM by Gary Merrifield »

Paul Meehan

• BAC Member
  • Travel with DW and two K9's
Re: Tow system
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 01:43:15 AM »
Gary, I think you will find that there is no "easiest tow bar."  In my situation the vehicle to be towed, tow bar, supplemental brake system all played into the decision making process.  I started with a used Roadmaster and before using it opted for a NSA Ready Brute Elite system which has an integrated surge brake system built in.  I do like what I have but if I had to do it over again I would not buy the all in one but rather purchase the Ready Brake supplemental extension so that I could use any tow bar.
Each time I read about the various brake systems on the market each sounded better than the other.  I just made the decision that I am going with a mechanical brake system versus electric or air.

As you research the options you will be able to determine the pros and cons for each system.  Then pick the one best for you.
Paul and Peggy
St. Johns, Florida
2001 Patriot Ticonderoga 37' 2 Slides (2015-2019)
2014 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 (2019-Current)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee  Limited

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 02:00:35 AM »
Of course you must match the bar to exceed the weight/load of your toad, so choose the appropriate model.  Most of us use either Blue Ox or Roadmaster brands.  The Roadmaster Falcon All-terrain is a popular model, and what I chose.  Part of that reasoning involved the company’s headquarters being in my area, but also germane was their reputation.  They are a customer-oriented outfit and have been very helpful on several occasions.  A good place to get to know them is at a regional rally where they have a booth.  I’d guess the same for Blue Ox.

The Falcon and others have “easy release” levers that supposedly aid when first disconnecting an off-center toad with unusual tension on the arms, an all too common aggravation.  Normally the levers work fine, but every once in awhile, even when I’ve tried to align the toad and coach on even ground, the arms on ours do jamb hard, and it can be a struggle just getting the levers to let go.  It’s usually because the ground isn’t as level as I’d thought.

It’s nice that I can take the bar, or the entire coach/toad setup, to Roadmaster’s facilities in Vancouver and have them check something or suggest an improvement or methodology.  Once they spent several hours reworking the initial installer’s questionable aux. brake/towbar setup on the toad and didn’t charge anything.  These devices get dirty and crud up over time.  Storing the bar on the coach sans it’s cover for several winters was a bad idea;  store in a garage or get a cover.   When the arm shafts didn’t slide like they used to after 7-8 years, Roadmaster reconditioned our entire bar for nominal cost, including retrofitting a new improved-design major part at no charge.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 02:23:05 AM »
We have a Roadmaster 8,000 pound capacity towbar.  Our tow vehicle weighs over 6,000 pounds.  When we bought the towbar used, it was sticky and the arms were hard to extend and compress.  Also, the connection knuckles that connect to the crossbar on the tow vehicle would not twist.  Roadmaster has a maintenance booth at Quartzsite every January during the Big Tent week where they will go through the towbar and refurbish it for the cost of major parts... if any require replacement.  The first time at Quartzsite resulted in no charge and a like-new towbar.  This past January, the second time for our towbar to be looked at in Quartzsite, the cost was $100 for a new square tube that slides into the hitch.  We have an Even Brake for the tow vehicle.

2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 06:44:01 AM »
Gary,
IMHO, I'd go with Roadmaster for the baseplate. See http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,4596.15.html
for what happened to me with a Blue Ox baseplate. I still use a Blue Ox tow bar though.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 06:43:19 PM »
Gary,
Roadmaster and Blue Ox are the largest tow bar and baseplate manufactures around. Both of these manufactures have areas that they excel in, so do your research and buy the one that meets your needs. I use an M&G tow brake and Blue Ox tow bar and baseplate because they meet the things that where important to me, but they may not meet your needs as good as a Roadmaster setup.

Gerald   

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 04:11:24 PM »
This is pretty silly, but it's a fact. When we first started towing, with the Holiday Rambler, we researched Roadmaster and Blue Ox.

We ended up with the Blue Ox system, because the co-pilot liked the looks of the connections way better than the Roadmaster system.  ::)

It has performed flawlessly on two coaches for almost 10 years. We service it every other year. New bushings, rubber covers, etc.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Gary Merrifield

Re: Tow system or use a trailer.
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 12:26:45 AM »
Thanks for the replies

Bill Sprague

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 04:13:01 PM »
This is pretty silly, but it's a fact. When we first started towing, with the Holiday Rambler, we researched Roadmaster and Blue Ox.

We ended up with the Blue Ox system, because the co-pilot liked the looks of the connections way better than the Roadmaster system.  ::)

It has performed flawlessly on two coaches for almost 10 years. We service it every other year. New bushings, rubber covers, etc.
Same here!  The Blue Ox looked much better on the front of the Edge than the Roadmaster did on the front of the Subaru.  Both got about 60K miles of use.

Roy Boles

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 07:54:18 AM »
I replaced my tow bar in January at Indio with the latest from Blue Ox. Great tow bar love the way it works.
'98 Marquis Diamante
C-12/Allison 4000

Doug Allman

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 12:31:16 AM »
We have used a DEMCO tow bar, 22 years with and Air Force One brake system for the past 10 years and have never had to replace a part. Upgraded to the 8000 lbs bar when we got our 2004 Marquis in 2012 and still using it on our new Entegra Cornerstone.
Mileage is around 100,000 towing with absolutely no problems whatsoever on the DEMCO or the Air Force One which has been switched to 5 vehicles over the 10 years.
Hook up is a 5 minute process and extremely simple due to its self alignment.