Author Topic: Technical Support from BCS  (Read 3955 times)

Gerald Farris

Technical Support from BCS
« on: July 19, 2018, 12:20:14 AM »
The recent passing of Ken Carpenter has created a huge loss in the telephone technical support capacity at Beaver Coach Sales (BCS). The management at BCS is working very hard to address this issue, but since no one with Ken's Beaver Coach knowledge base is available, his position cannot be filled. Therefore, please do not call BCS for technical support until a solution or alternate technical support source can be established. I am working with BCS management along with others in BAC management to find the best solution to the issue for everyone. 

The service staff at BCS has more work than they can do at this time, and if someone stops to take phone calls, their service customers will be delayed in completion of their repairs, and no one thinks that is a fair and reasonable business model. Therefore, post your technical support questions on this Forum, or if it is urgent, just call me at 713-254-4156. I will be in the Pacific time zone for the next month.

Gerald   

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
Re: Technical Support from BCS
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 02:58:16 PM »
Gerald, with your background and years spent on the Forum your services will be very much
Welcome to everyone in at Beaver Coach Sales and assisting position and direction for replacement
of Ken Carpenter. Dave
The following users thanked this post: Joe Moreschi

Doug Allman

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 03:58:34 PM »
IMHO there is no one better than Gerald Farris when you have a question in regard to how a BEAVER coach is assembled, where you might find a part or mechanism and how you could possibly repair it. That includes how to use the reset button for individuals like me that somehow turned the Aladdin off.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 06:13:59 PM »
Sometimes I regret throwing in my two cents worth...  It almost always happens when I promote change in the BAC!  But what the....!

As Beavers get older, their purchase prices decline.  The owner base is changing.  As that happens, there is more demand than ever for free, experience based, knowledge.  Extended warranties are hard to get.  Shops become reluctant to repair coaches long out of production.  Repairs can exceed the value of a coach!  (There is a very sad full timer story unveiling on Facebook this week.)

Somehow, word got out that you could always call BCS, could get advice and never have to be, or have been, a customer.  That is not a sustainable business model!  It can't and is not likely to continue.

The "new to them" Beaver owner today is likely to search the internet for help.  They will land on various forums like iRV2, rv.net and (gasp) Facebook for first responses.   Because the BAC is a club with dues, they are blocked and not likely to show up here.

Gerald is certainly one of the best Beaver knowledge sources.  But, collectively, the club has many more.  Together, it seems feasible that the new void can be filled.

Is it time to change some BAC policies and rules to make access to this forum more open?  Can this forum structure be made easier to use?   Can the BAC and this forum extend and enhance the useful life of a Beaver coach?

Farmington is coming up.  Formal or informal brainstorming should take place.  Should something be put on the schedule?  John or Mike? 

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 10:21:59 PM »
Well dang, I thought all along it was free for anyone, members and non-members alike. I thought the only non-member Index was the Members Only Section.

I'm pretty sure anyone can find this forum on the internet and read it without charge. Not sure if they can post without being a member, but I've never paid a membership dues for this forum.

The only dues I pay, I assume, is for the membership in BAC.

Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 10:40:38 PM »
Stan,
There is no stand alone BAC Forum membership. The BAC Forum is a service and benefit to BAC members, and even though there are public sections of the forum that anyone can read, you must be a BAC member to even see that the "Members Only" section exist, use the forum search function, or post a question on the forum.

There have been discussions in the past about having a BAC Forum only membership without including BAC Club membership, and it will be discussed again at the Farmington Rally, but it has always been voted down in the past. 

Gerald

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 11:57:10 PM »
I also am available to answer questions.
Steve
480-201-3686
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Bryan Beamon

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 12:05:15 AM »
Bill and Stan, you have both bought out very good points and  I agree with both of you. A broken down motorhome on the side of the road in an unfamiliar area can result in a major stress. You don't know who to call or trust. The price of a coach is high enough  but the cost of repair can be really daunting, especially at an unknown repair shop. Gerald, Steve, myself and all Forum members who spend countless hours on the Forum know there is no free lunch anymore at shops but are willing to spend the time to help others. Any answer at a service shops will cost about 165.00 / hour. Ken Carpenter at Beaver Coach Sales was a very valuable asset for Beaver owners. His service may not seem "cost effective" but looking at the whole picture (sales / repeat business due to this extra effort ) can be a big contributor to the success story of a business.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 02:03:25 AM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 01:09:21 PM »
Dave has a point!  A lot of people drive their Beaver thousands of miles to BCS because of people like Ken Carpenter.  Without that attitude I would think their business will suffer some.  Probably not enough I guess.  Just a thought.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 03:27:19 PM »
Ken was truly an asset but the knowledge and expertise of the service and parts folks is what keeps owners coming back IMHO.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Rick and Laura Stephens

Mike Humble

• BAC Member
  • BAC Past President 2014-2018
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 04:29:47 PM »
This topic is scheduled to be on the agenda for the Board of Directors meeting in Farmington.  While this is a board meeting, it is open to all BAC members.  It is scheduled for 9:00AM the day before the rally starts.  For clarification the full forum access is available to all BAC members.  Non members can access all public areas of the forum, but can not post or use the search feature.
Mike
2008 Marquis 45' Cat C-15 600hp

Doug Allman

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2018, 10:39:37 PM »
I certainly did not mean to slight Steve Huber as he has always been a great sounding board. In my past reply on the forum I mentioned Gerald and Steve as the best go to when you just do not know where else to go. That has not changed.