Author Topic: What brand/type PEX hose and fittings does Beaver use?  (Read 3596 times)

Mike Shumack

What brand/type PEX hose and fittings does Beaver use?
« on: July 22, 2018, 12:34:17 PM »
I thinking about putting together an emergency repair kit for the plumbing system. Some extra hose, fittings, and related items.

There are a lot of different PEX brands available. I don't think they are all compatible with the competition's brand fittings and crimp rings (but i'm not sure). If any knows what brand Beaver used (in 2005 era) I would like to know so I can get that brand hose and fittings.

For example there are these stainless steel adjustable size crimp rings and there are the specific size "wedding ring" style rings. Does it matter which is used?

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Re: What brand/type PEX hose and fittings does Beaver use?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 02:06:04 PM »
I've got a couple of feet of pex and some shark connections in my bay.  The shark connections just slip on with no crimping tool required.  More expensive but oh so much easier!
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Bill Sprague

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 06:02:32 PM »
I've used Watts Quick Connect pex fittings in the Beaver, our condo and our newer PleasureWay.   I first saw them as standard plumbing in a SeaRay boat.  For repairs, you can use them where you can't reach with crimpers.   Hardware and "home centers" sometimes have them.  Amazon is the easiest.   I have no idea if Sharks are better or Watts are better. 

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 01:27:46 PM »
The SharkBite fitting is a good idea. They are made of brass (and expensive). I'll plan to have a straight and 90 in my emergency kit in the 1/2" size.

Looking over some photos of my coach, I see that the "wedding band" style crimp ring is what Beaver used. I can get the crimp tool and rings off Amazon for about $25, so I'll add these to the kit too, along with some hose.

Thanks

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 12:45:55 AM »
I have used all three on Pex, the wedding band, stainless , and sharkbites,  I would classify the sharkbits as more for emergencies, but have seen them hold up for years.  I use mostly the stainless ones now since they are easier to position and crimp with a smaller one size fits all crimper.  I have also started using the plastic type connectors with good results.  I have not had one of them fail yet, but have had some of the early brass ones fail in my home.  Once they are crimped on it is compression that keeps them from leaking.  The stainless ones are also the easiest to remove if you ever need to, just put the crimper's back on and twist them open or apart.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Stan Simpson