Author Topic: Air Conditioner  (Read 8468 times)

Kevin Patchen

Air Conditioner
« on: July 25, 2018, 03:28:00 PM »
2008 Beaver Patriot Thunder . This coach has three air-conditioners and the rear air conditioner works on occasion but not all the time. When it is really hot it won’t function just blow air. When it starts to cool off then the air conditioner start to work then cycles but it also shuts off after a short period.  Fan is running  Does this mean that it’s time to replace or is it Repairable. 
 I am currently in Penelton Oregon headed to Las Vegas, via  twin Falls then south down 93.  where would be a good place to have it looked at? Any ideas?

Mike Shumack

Re: Air Conditioner
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 03:51:34 PM »
I would go up on the roof and remove the cover. See if the condenser fins (#27) are clogged up - and if everything looks "normal". At least it's an easy place to start.

I have a troubleshooting manual for Dometic, but it's too large to attach here.PM me if you want me to e-mail you a copy.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 03:55:41 PM »
Kevin,
Sounds like the unit is going bad, and they are generally not repairable. From what you said, I don't think the thermostat would be causing the problems. I'd also check the filter in the bedroom intake and go on the roof, as Mike recommended, remove the cover and make sure the fins are clean, etc.
You may want to check  http://rvservicereviews.com/Index.asp   for a shop on your route. Most of the good shops in OR are in the Bend area or closer to the coast.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Gary Merrifield

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 06:36:59 PM »
Try to get it fixed before you get to Las Vegas. I am stuck here with no Air conditioning and still waiting on the repair guy to get the right part. It is suppose to be 113 - 115 degrees here today. Finally got a motel room for the last two nights

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 09:53:41 PM »
As Mike suggests, it could be the unit overheats in the hotter weather due to a “fin” heat exchanger complex that is too dirty to adequately flow air.  Spray down the fins with Extreme Simple Green for Motorsports (NOT regular Simple Green!), let it soak out of direct sun and keep moist with mist, then rinse preferably and mostly from the inside out.  Repeat if necessary.  Straighten any damaged “fins”.

Beware wasps up there when removing the shroud.  They often build humongous mud nests in roof airs, and that could be restricting air flow or befouling a component.  The roof is nowhere to be trying to outrun angry critters.  Be cautious.  Be prepared.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 10:21:44 AM »
Kevin
you might head west just a bit and drop down to Bend.  After seeing BCS you could go east again on hwy 20 into Idaho and south.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 09:31:23 PM »
BCS would be okay, certainly, Keith.  But they may not fit Kevin in on short notice.  This time of year their schedule is booked months in advance.  He could call Bend RV Repair across the street, but I’ll wager their popularity has them busy also.

I hate to offer up such a suggestion, but a Camping World somewhere near his route may be more likely to attend his needs with any timeliness.  That may restrict him to the one in Meridian, ID.  https://rv.campingworld.com/dealer/boise-idaho-meridian?scpc=moz&utm_source=moz&utm_campaign=directory&utm_medium=organic

Joel
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 09:52:10 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Joe DeWeese

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 11:54:28 PM »
Does anyone know of a reputable supplier of replacement parts for my Dometic roof a/c?  I need a new shroud for my Duo Therm 630516.331.  Old one blew off during a microburst and is lost somewhere. 
Thanks,
Joe D.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 12:14:20 AM »
Amazon has a/c shrouds.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Kevin Patchen

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2018, 01:28:13 AM »
Well I’m here in Vegas and it 115 degrees OMG. When we rolled into town my rv temp said 126 Deg. my sensor is about 18” off the road. The tile floors in my coach were even hot. Running the generator and all three Ac units. Well maybe One unit was really putting cool air. One had trip the circuit breaker the other was just blown hot air, frozen up!!/over heated.

Well I’m babysitting my ac units they  were all running this morning.  About 2:00 General Quality RV repair showed up and basically said there wasn’t much hope.  The AC units are all on there last leg. (There all 10 yrs old) Two out of three are drawing 18.5 to 19 amps.  And they should be around 12 amps max except at start up.  I’m sure the hot weather doesn’t help.  So I’m biting the bullet and replacing all three. New Domestic Penguin AC unit 15000 BTU model 651816 they also requiring  conversion kits 3313107.107, AC units are 1495 ea conversation kit 120.00 ea. Install and freight 5509.00 ouch  :'(. Going to CA next week gota have AC that works.
I’ll tell you how it all turns out on Tuesday when they install them.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2018, 03:18:33 AM »
Thanks Kevin.  We are very interested in knowing the end result since we have three that are a year older.  Don't yours have the heat pumps as well?
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2018, 03:41:21 AM »
Oops, I just looked up the model number you posted and see that they have the heat pump.  Very nice!
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

George Harwell

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2018, 03:49:10 PM »
Kevin, I know the last thing you want to do in Vegas is run your heaters but here’s why. When the air conditioner is replaced the dip switches inside the unit have to be set properly for the thermostat to control the furnace also. I have seen several units replaced that left the furnace inoperative. So I suggest you do a thorough test of the new units before releasing the technician. Cool the coach to around 80 degrees ,make sure the Aqua Hot is ready then switch from air conditioning to heater, run the temperature up to 90 and insure the furnace operates properly at all zones. Don’t forget to test the heat pump operation also. Good luck with your venture.

Kevin Patchen

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2018, 04:24:48 PM »
 Thank you for your comments...
I will check all the heating systems (aqua hot and heat pumps) Thanks again.
These are heat pump units that will be installed.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2018, 04:39:20 PM »
  Greetings Kevin,
   George brings up a great point, younger technicians sometimes fail to consider that dip switch setting on the primary air conditioner.
   Here are some other considerations when dealing with roof air conditioners in extremely hot weather. Older units draw about 13 amps of current at 80 degrees outside. Every 10 degrees above 80 draws an additional 1.5 amps of current. When you get past 116 degrees you're dancing on the edge. Factor in dirty condensers and worn compressors and most older air conditioners will trip a 20amp circuit breaker.

When Cindy and I were living in our coach last summer in Tucson, AZ while our house was being built, I hooked up a misting system in front of my basement air conditioner condenser inlet and got the inside temperature down to 78 degrees when it was 112 degrees outside. The down side is it is kind of messy.

hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6