Author Topic: Cook Top Burner  (Read 2289 times)

Dan Stussi

Cook Top Burner
« on: August 23, 2018, 05:09:10 AM »
We are getting ready to go on a little trip and my wife said she would be in need of our 2 burner propane cook top. We rarely use it. I tested both burners, one works and the other will light but not stay lit. I have not torn into it yet. My assumption is the thermal coupler is bad. I have been looking online for parts to no avail. It is a 2237RV Seaward Princess Propane Cook top. From what I can see of it from the top is it has a very tiny probe in the flame.  The only Seaward items I find online is for boats, which is fine, but no parts there either.

Any suggestions on finding a thermal coupler would be appreciated. Or, should I be looking for another cause.

1998 Beaver Monterey 30'
3126 Cat
Allison

Thank you

Mike Shumack

Re: Cook Top Burner
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 01:57:41 PM »
I dont have the same brand cooktop, but on mine you need to hold the knob down for a couple of seconds after the burner lights.
Googling for your model, I did not find the exact model but did see this... for Seaward Princess

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 02:20:20 PM »
Yes, Mike, I assume we have the same cooktop as you.  The ignite button must be held down until the thermocouple is hot... usually 5 to 10 seconds or so.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Dan Stussi

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 05:05:25 PM »
Thanks Mike and David. I can hold the knob down on the other burner for about a minute and it will stay lit. The other I can hold down for ever and as soon as I let off the flame goes out. The ignitor and thermal coupler probe are in 2 different spots, unlike the one in the drawing. I  hope I don't have to buy a new cook top.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 05:17:31 PM »
Maybe one of the thermocouples for a different model Seaward cooktop will be the same. Here is a link to a website selling parts. You be able to match yours to something shown on this site. Good luck.
http://www.suremarineservice.com/Galley/Seaward-Replacement-Parts-for-Models-2172-2372/

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 09:34:15 PM »
It’s been decades since I had to mess with a faulty stove so forgive any memory lapse, but with our old Magic Chef on the Pace Arrow the behavior was occasionally similar.  It was always a dirty valve.  That’s not to say it couldn’t be your thermocouple, but I used to disassemble and clean control valves to get mine going, or reset or replace O rings to correct leaks. 

Make sure the thermocouple isn’t fouled or misaligned... such is known to keep a fridge burner from staying lit.  Also see that it’s wire is solidly connected at both ends.

It’s unlikely you need a new cooktop, Dan, but maybe try to locate a repair kit if cleaning or adjusting things doesn’t do the trick.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat