Author Topic: Fogged Windows:  Successful Repair  (Read 9985 times)

Bill Sprague

Fogged Windows:  Successful Repair
« on: February 28, 2011, 07:29:01 PM »
Having a fogged dual pane window was on my list of dreaded motorhome malfunctions.  But no more!

I had the three dual pane sets in the window left of the driver’s chair start fogging last summer.  I had read online that someone in Florida would remove a window, disassemble it, clean it, put it back together and replace it.  The other choice was to buy new windows.

RV Glass Solutions in Eugene, OR began advertising they would do the same.  Since Eugene is a little closer to me than Florida I thought I would give it a try.  Besides, I had a windshield replaced there a few years ago.

I learned that RV Glass Solutions is part of a group of companies.  RV Glass Solutions, Coach Glass and A-1 Auto Glass are all owned by John Tokatly.  They have warehouses in Eugene OR, Phoenix AZ, Elkhart IN and Lakeland FL.    Their business is to supply windshields to manufacturers, dealers, repair centers and owners.  The warehouses in Eugene and Phoenix have the ability to replace windshields and side windows in their shops.  A significant advantage is that you don’t have to pay freight.

On a Wednesday night we camped in their parking lot with a 30 amp hookup.  Thursday, at 8 am they went to work.  Beaver design experts did their best at making it impossible to remove the window by hiding three critical screws with the dash assembly.  Tim (last name unknown) went to work removing the dash and then the window.  In an hour he had the assembly in the “clean room” where he made everything look like new again.  About 2:30 he returned, replaced the window assembly and reinstalled the dash.   Problem solved.  And there is a two year warranty.

I don’t have my invoice handy, but the price was about $340 for the first pane and about $90 for each additional pane in the same window frame.  I think my total was about $520 and there is no sales tax in Oregon either.

If you can’t get to Eugene or Phoenix, they will repair windows you ship to them.  You do the removal and replacement.

One last detail!  John (the owner) is a Beaver Owner.  He has a late model Contessa with a one piece windshield.   I have not yet met him, but did check the latest BAC directory and he is listed as a member.  

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Fogged Windows:  Successful Repair
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 10:43:49 PM »
There are a couple of fellows in Bend that fix fogged windows also, including Dave Root:  
http://daverootrvglassrepair.com/

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 12:07:53 AM »
In Florida http://www.suncoastdesigners.com/ Has rave reviews and overnight spots.

David Fischer

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 10:24:58 PM »
I want to add to Richard and Bab's note about Suncoast Designers in Florida.  We found out about them when we were at Alliance getting some work done. We went there and had four windows done. All had the inner seal creeping problem which many of us have had. Can't be more pleased with the work and the result.  Basically in one day they did 4 windows with one crew to take them out and  another to cover the empty hole.  All done early in the morning and the next morning they were putting them back in.  They did the whole window for 200 each.  If the drivers window needed to be done it was 250.  they had 50 amp service with water and couldn't treat you better.  They also had a tour of the facilities which was short but informative.

Arden Smith

• BAC Member
  • 98 Monterey 36\' 300 Cat 3126
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 10:05:54 PM »
To add to Bill Sprague's comments about RV Glass solutions, I just had 4 windows, Drivers 3 way split, Large one behind door,(all fogged) and the two bedroom windows(seal creapers) done in Phoenix last week, We went in one day, camped over night in their parking lot to be ready to go at 6:00 am the next morning and right on time the next morning we rolled into the warehouse where they proceeded to pull and repair windows. 12 hours later, yes, these guys worked that kind of day, we were back in the parking lot for another overnight but with all the work done and for a price of just over $1400 dollars for all that effort. 2 year warranty against leaking and fogging.
One happy camper
Arden Smith
Arden Smith
98 Monterey 36' 3126 300 CAT