Author Topic: Heart Interface Inverter/Charger nasty buzzing noise (was the fan)  (Read 2194 times)

Neal Strickberger

Heart Interface Inverter/Charger nasty buzzing noise (was the fan)
« on: September 07, 2018, 12:46:43 AM »
1996 Beaver Monterey
So I hear this scary buzzing noise from my Heart Interface Freedom 20 while its on shore power with relatively low draw. Silence, silence, buzzzzz. It's working fine on both charge and invert, but don't want it to completely self destruct...

So I pull it (not hard, just remember to label the AC cables). Open the cover, everything looks perfect, no apparent overheating.

GIYF. Find a YouTube video from someone with a nice British accent explaining its the fan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qhVkd8NBak . So I pulled my fan, hooked it up to 12V and it spun with no noise. Regardless, replaced it.

Delta WFB1212H 12V .45A computer fan. Found exact match for $10 at Jameco - get the same fan if possible to match the rivet holes - at least get one with the same flow (or just guess based on current draw).

Pulling the fan required prying it free of the plastic rivets from the inside with a flat-blade screwdriver. Installing: thread the wires, line it up and whack the rivets in from the outside, splice new wires into original red/black fan wires, don't connect new blue sense wire.

All good now.
Much as I wanted to spend $1400 on a new and shiny more efficient pure-sine wave inverter think I'll spend the $1390 I saved on something else.