Author Topic: Charging Questions  (Read 11843 times)

Jason Worman

Charging Questions
« on: September 24, 2018, 02:09:39 AM »
So we have a Freedom 458 inverter charger. We are plugged in fulltime with 50 amp service where I work. Do we needed the charger on 24/7? I see there is a on/off switch, under which,circumstances would we need to turn on and off and do we leave it on while driving?
Thanks

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Charging Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 04:11:09 AM »
Jason,
The inverter based charger will only work when the inverter is connected to a 110V source, i.e. shore power or generator. When driving, w/o the generator running, the batteries are being charged by the engine alternator. As far as leaving it on while plugged in, your charger should automatically switch from bulk to absorb to float charging status as the batteries become full charged. At the float level, the charger is only supplying  5A or less so it doesn't represent a very big load. The inverter is probably pulling more than that w/o the charger. If you don't need the inverter running when in storage, you can rely on the solar charger (trickle charger) to keep the batteries minimally charged. However, after a period of storage, I'd recommend using the boost switch to start the generator and let it run about 5 minutes before starting the engine (again use the boost switch) and keep the generator running for at least 30 minutes to reduce the load on the alternator.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 01:51:30 PM »
Except for a few weeks, we have had our coach parked in our house's driveway since returning home from Yuma in March.  During this period of over 5 months, the coach has been plugged into 50 amp shore power.  We periodically check the two battery banks' status at the Aladdin screen and Xantrex Freedom 3000w inverter remote panel, and we top-off the six house batteries with distilled water every few months.  Since installing the Xantrex a few years ago, it has never been turned off that I know of.  Both battery banks have shown 13.3v to 13.7v at all times while plugged into shore power.

By the way, I use a 1-gallon garden sprayer to fill the house batteries with distilled water.  The sprayer has made that job MUCH easier and quicker.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Jason Worman

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 08:16:49 PM »
Thanks for the tip about filling the batteries using a spray bottle. I have a another question, the house batteries need replacing, they were left dry and not taken care of, while plugged into shore power they read a constant 11.5 volts. Is having bad batteries hard on the charger? They have charged as high as 13.0 volts after driving quite some distance but once unhooked from shore power the charge immediately drops to around the 11.5 mark. Thanks

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 08:49:14 PM »
Jason,
Bad batteries can damage the charger. Replace them before you have to replace the inverter/charger.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 09:38:58 PM »
Jason, David’s trick probably works fine in some trays.  But in certain configurations, like mine, where you have to put your face in close and use a penlight to see the water levels, spray might not be particularly a safe way.  Consider getting a filler such as this    https://weldwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/einstein.pl?::1:WLDWH:1:570=75-030   that many of us use.  It’s easier than my old way of using a battery tester or turkey baster, and it automatically stops water flow when each cell is full. 

A pair of safety glasses is a good idea as well;  in my 20’s I once splashed just a smidge of acid in an eye while handling auto batteries as a store stockboy.  It was no fun and a hard lesson.  The Plews filler mitigates that hazard since you don’t have to get your face so much in harm’s way to know when a cell is full.  There are many styles and makes of filler out there, so shop around and check local auto parts stores... the link provided is simply an example and not necessarily the best deal.  But I can testify the Plews brand is decent quality.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 09:57:46 PM »
$5 at Walmart.  I don't have the nozzle on spray.  I twist the tip to make a tight stream, don't over-pressurize the sprayer and don't pull the trigger such that it throws a hard and fast stream.

With my battery tray extended, I can stand up straight and look down at a 45-degree angle to see into the back batteries' cells.  Now the hardest part of the job is taking off/replacing the battery caps and sliding that heavy tray back into its storage position.  My batteries have the 3-cap, half-twist device so each battery's 3 caps come off together in one twist... makes it quick and easy!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/RL-Flo-Master-1-Gallon-Sprayer/13376324?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227009419045&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40471888592&wl4=aud-273067695102:pla-60819427646&wl5=9033202&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=13376324&wl13=&veh=sem&gclid=Cj0KCQjwlqLdBRCKARIsAPxTGaXj9Q0fyz4QLMUqGG7NUIFq9DXC9U-eqW6aBAqv-UH75MG4K3vJaKcaAjCzEALw_wcB
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 10:25:18 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Jason Worman

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 12:18:51 AM »
Thanks, I'm getting the batteries replaced tomorrow at our local Les Scwab

Gerald Farris

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 03:25:07 PM »
Jason,
Your problem does not sound like bad batteries. It sounds like your inverter is not charging properly. Even with bad batteries, the inverter should be charging at a voltage much above 11.5 volts unless it is maxed out on amps, and then you would have a bad heat problem in the house battery bank from a cell short circuit.

I would have the batteries checked before replacement, and only use a true deep cycle battery, like a 6 volt golf cart battery if replacement is necessary. Never use a 12 volt cranking battery as a house battery.

Gerald

Jason Worman

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 03:48:07 PM »
Thanks, the batteries are 12 years old. The RV tech came several months ago when we purchased the rig and found that the batteries were dry and also that one battery cable was broken and not even connected. He fixed the cable, filled batteries and said to see what happens. The batteries will charge up, but once we disconnect from shore power, immediately drop to 10.5 volts. If I turn inverter off and the on, it charges at 12.5 volts. Once it reads batteries are full, it goes into float mode and batteries immediately drop to 11.5 volts. It will kick back on and begin charging. Even when alternator is charging at almost 14 volts, once we stop, the batteries immediately drop to 10.5 volts. I will make sure they are true deep cycle batteries. I believe I saw you in some of the recent rally photos and look forward to meeting you at some point.

Jason Worman

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2018, 04:07:44 PM »
The house batteries are currently Trojan brand series 27D . Are these even the correct kind of batteries? If you could call me that would be great, I'm here on the Oregon Coast-
541-707-7415. Thanks
Jason

Gerald Farris

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2018, 04:51:25 PM »
Jason,
A BCI group size 27 battery is a 12 volt battery, and there are few  battery manufacturers who make it in a true deep cycle 12 volt battery. Trojan is one of those companies, and your old Trojan batteries are a true deep cycle battery as are all Trojan batteries. However, Trojan batteries other than the standard 6 volt golf cart battery a usually hard to find and expensive. So unless you are willing to rewire your house batteries to use 6 volt batteries, you will probably need to look a little to locate true deep cycle 12 volt batteries like the Trojans you currently have. Just do not use cranking batteries, even the "dual purpose" marine batteries that you commonly find a stores like Les Schwab will not work as a house battery because repeated discharging and recharging will destroy them.

Gerald   

Jason Worman

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2018, 05:26:38 PM »
Thank, there was more to this than I realized. Will hold off on getting new batteries

Jason Worman

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2018, 05:52:17 PM »
You were right, did some checking online and they are a bit expensive and hard to have shipped in, will probably go back to dealer that installed these. Thank you

Jason Worman

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2018, 11:14:03 PM »
Gerald,

Sorry about my endless questions. I read the manual that came with inverter and watched a youtube video about the inverter, but I am still confused. So when hooked up to shore power, you need the invert and charge buttons on the remote on correct? Or is it either inverting or charging at the same time or does it do one or the other? The charger is charging at 13.5 volts. The charger shows the battery as full, but the command center shows it at only 11.5 volts and fair condition. It's so confusing to me. Nothing like being a total newbie. Thank you.