Author Topic: Charging Questions  (Read 11982 times)

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Re: Charging Questions
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2018, 12:50:54 AM »
Yes they should both be turned on at the remote.  Yes they can both be on at the same time.  I think you need to make sure your batteries are good before you continue.  If you don't the conflicting info will drive you nuts.  Have someone load test the batteries.  Then you will at least have a good point to start troubleshooting.  You've already been told by a tech that your batteries are bad.  Sounds like a good place to start.  Good luck.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2018, 01:22:05 AM »
Jason, referring to Gerald's comments, if it is at all feasible the best thing for your coach would be to go with four 6v deep cycles for your house batteries.  They have more overall amp-hour capacity than 12 volt ones.  But you have to have room for 4 and will need the rewiring for a combination of series and parallel.  That should be done by someone familiar with your coach.   

My batteries are 12 years old also and mostly shot... my solar and inverter chargers don't know what to make of it, the solar is constantly bulk charging (boiling off water) because the voltage never gets over 12... good bats and charge systems should stabilize and float at 13.3-13.5v.  12 years is extremely unusual and most people are lucky to get to 8 years, if that.  As Jerry alludes to, your main issue is aged-out house batteries.  Like Steve recommended, deal with that first before worrying about charging possibilities.

That said, and you can find someone with the expertise to rewire and install them, if you are willing to toad trip inland to Eugene or up to Astoria with your old batteries in hand for core exchange value, one of the better 6v Interstate golf cart battery deals is at Costco.  As Gerald noted, you'll have a time getting 12v deep cycles anywhere, wet cell or not. 

Joel
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 01:37:02 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jason Worman

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2018, 01:33:32 AM »
They came with the coach, unfortunately(and my greeness) the previous owner showed me receipt for all new batteries being replaced in 2016, but in reality, those must have been removed and these clunkers put in there place. Will start by getting new batteries and then go from there.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2018, 01:40:25 AM »
They may have indeed been new in 2016.  But a bad inverter or some other charger may have done them in already.  Even one battery with a bad cell can in time ruin the set.  The problem is you can't know if you have a bum inverter charger until good bats are in place to work with and test the system.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2018, 04:25:34 AM »
Jason,
Take a volt meter and verify that the house batteries are really at 13.5 volts. Then check the voltage for your chassis batteries, The original command center may be defective or it may be reading the chassis batteries. If the chassis batteries are at about 11.5 volts, we will assume that the command center is reading the chassis batteries, and you need to repair or install a charging source for them. The inverter only charges the house batteries unless you have an Echo Charger or a "BIRD" system. Your coach may not have either one because it has a mechanically injected engine that is no bad about discharging the chassis batteries through the ECM (engine control module). If the house batteries read 13.5 volts and the chassis batteries read above 12.5 volts, just assume that your command center is inaccurate and ignore the battery voltage portion.

Gerald

Jason Worman

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2018, 04:21:32 PM »
I took out voltage meter and tested both batteries. Chasis battery test at 13.6 volts, it was replaced 2 months ago. The house batteries took some time to test because they were wired in sequence. Each one tested at 10.8-11.2 volts. I forgot to mention when we first bought coach we had to start it by using the boost start button, eventually it would not start at all. Replaced the chasis battery and has started perfect ever since. Getting new batteries today and then going to check charger/inverter. Its 12 years old.

Jason Worman

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2018, 10:47:22 PM »
I went to get batteries and after examining them, techs realized I need the true deep cycle batteries, these will take 3 weeks to get. We left and dumped tanks drove for an hour or so and parked. When I parked batteries showed 10.5 volts, we sat several hours at the beach. When we came back and I turned on panel, voltage was now 12.9, with engine running it jumped to 13.3. I am wondering If panel, charger, and system need to be looked at. Techs confirmed house batteries are bad. After parking here at Winchestet Bay for 30 minutes and no load on system, batteries have dropped to 12 volts.