Author Topic: Coach leans  (Read 3418 times)

Gary Merrifield

Coach leans
« on: October 31, 2018, 02:05:36 AM »
After the motorhome is parked over night the next morning the motorhome is always leanin to the right side both front and rear.
Looking for ideas on where to start.
Do these have an electric air compressor to keep the air system charged

Lee Welbanks

Re: Coach leans
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 03:27:56 AM »
After the motorhome is parked over night the next morning the motorhome is always leanin to the right side both front and rear.
Looking for ideas on where to start.
Do these have an electric air compressor to keep the air system charged
Gary, Yes it has a 12 volt compressor that is supposed to keep the system pressure up. I assume your's is air leveling and what you have is air leaks on the right side of the system. With my 06 Patriot Thunder I have found and fixed a few air leaks over the years. The usual place for leaks is in the HWH system manifolds, that have solenoids, air switches and a bunch of push to connect fittings which are prone to leak over time.
I know way to much about the underside of a 06 PT, most of my leaks were with fittings or the air switches leaking. I have replaced many of the push to connect fittings with Parker brass DOT air fittings.
You can go to the HWH web site and download most all the info on the parts and pieces of your system and how it is supposed to function.

Gary Merrifield

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 04:45:35 AM »
Thank you.
Yes I am learning way to much about the underside.
Had hydraulic line leaking on the generator slide cylinder. Ended up changing both lines

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 07:57:33 AM »
Others here have also replaced with good results the push-on factory fittings, like Lee.  But as to the compressor, it’s not uncommon for it to fail from being mounted in a damage-susceptible place (between the steps and generator or in front of the steps) or from the factory unit just not being ideal for the job.  Or electrical connections, solenoids, and airlines to and from the device are often found compromised. 

But new owners sometimes don’t realize on rigs like yours that the compressor only works if you level using the “Auto” setting, not if you level “manually”.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gary Merrifield

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 01:56:19 PM »
So far I cannot find the compressor

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 02:17:21 PM »
on our 06 the air compressor was just in front of the rear wheels pax side it was totally frozen with road dirt as the original motor had an open winding a very bad design by monaco. Some of the 06 units are just in the lower bay. We did change out to a viair unit and it was very EZ plus the model viair 350 was doubled the speed. FYI I did have to run a new electrical circuit for the 20amp breaker you should have a spare location in your rear electrical panel

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 10:45:54 PM »
You state that you replaced hydraulic line to the front cylinder, are you leveling your coach with air or hydraulic when it sags on the right side??
The 12 volt air compressor is mounted on a bracket in front of the drive axle and as Jerry stated it is a crap design that costs a right arm. Mine actually still works but it makes a lot of noise, I should replace it with a new modern design like Jerry did.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 11:50:55 PM »
Thanks Jerry and Lee for pointing out the compressor was not up behind the front cap in front of the steps like many others.  I'd assumed it was the same as my '06 Monterey.  Shoulda known, but figured it was basic to all '06.  Apparently they used the same less-than-optimal compressor though.  As Gerald will advise, the ViAir is the way to go.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 03:21:50 AM »
Joel, I have often wondered if there are two of these coaches built exactly the same, I would bet money that there is not. Some of the parts end up where the tech building it felt it should go on that day.

Gary Merrifield

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 04:53:38 AM »
The Coach levels with air.
The hydraulic leak was on one of the lines going to the cylinder for the generator slide

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 03:44:24 PM »
Gary, Got it! I know that on my 06 PT if the air leak is in the rear on one side or the other it will make the whole coach lean. The front and rear are separate systems with their own manifolds. You have air leaks somewhere on that side of the coach, spray bottle with dish soap is about the only way to find the little buggers. I was amazed at just how small a leak will cause the coach to lean.
Make sure if you are getting under the coach with the system aired up that you block it up. I made 4"x6" blocks that go between and the upper frame and the subframe in the rear and front to make sure it can not come down. Not so much worried with the front, with the generator all the way out there is enough room under it. I'm skinny enough that I can get in and out from under with the coach all the way down.
Like I said before most of my leaks have been with the Nason air pressure switches, they have a set screw in the side and if they are leaking that's where the air will come out, also the push to connect air fittings.
The Nason switch can be rebuilt, remove the set screw and the solenoid will screw off (held together with silicone). Clean and re-assemble, I've done a couple.
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Gary Merrifield

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 06:50:37 PM »
 Thanks for everyone help.
I will let you know what I find