Author Topic: Slide Hydraulic Leak  (Read 2228 times)

Steve Funk

Slide Hydraulic Leak
« on: November 20, 2018, 09:36:32 PM »
Looked under my coach and noticed a puddle of hydraulic fluid from the ram on the drivers side slide.  Need to ask how to go about fixing this.  Looks as though it is from the center seal on the piston. Can the seal be replaced or will it need a new piston.  Who is the manufacture of the hydraulic systems on these coaches (06 Monterey).  Anything to be aware of if I have never done this type of repair like how to bleed the pressure on the hydraulics.  Maybe one of the Beaver gear heads here in Happy Trails, Surprise, AZ can give me some advice.

Mike Shumack

Re: Slide Hydraulic Leak
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 09:56:10 PM »
That looks like the hyd cylinder on my coach - can you read the part number off it?
Somewhere I downloaded the HWH hyd cylinder repair bulletin in case I ever needed it - I'll post it once I find it.

Steve Funk

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 12:33:19 AM »
Mike that would be great if you find the bulletin.  Let me know sfunk511@gmail.  I will have to crawl under the coach in the next day or so and see if I can get that part number.  Any trick to changing out that piston?  I am concerned about how to release any pressure there might be in the hydraulic line. 

Thanks
Steve

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 10:52:55 AM »
This is the bulletin I have.
I would think that any shop that rebuilds hydraulic cylinders (shop that works on construction equip or specializes in hydraulic repairs) could reseal that cylinder for you if you can bring it to them. I'm sure there are mobile services too, but that would cost more undoubtedly.

I have not had to do this repair on my coach yet. To relieve pressure you can open the release valve on the pump solenoid (its a 1/4 nut) or you could just crack the hydraulic line slowly and let the pressure bleed off that way (the picture below from the Owners manual shows the pressure release at the pump method).

Good luck.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 11:00:55 AM by Mike Shumack »

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 12:54:22 PM »
You said center seal? The seal on the outer end is replaceable. I had to replace ours. HWH has the seal and instructions. Had to use emery clothe on the shaft as it had a scratch. The scratch on the shaft compromised the seal.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9