Author Topic: TV Lift experts?  (Read 2773 times)

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
TV Lift experts?
« on: November 16, 2018, 01:02:59 AM »
On our '05 Beaver Patriot, the TV lift quit working. When I press the spring loaded switch, nothing happens. I haven't tried to use it in several weeks, but I went to the storage yard today to run the gen and charge the batteries. Once the generator started, I could hear a 'hum' from somewhere in the cab. Aladdin showed 11 amps (120vac) when the 'hum' was present, then 5 amps (battery charger) as the 'hum went away. When the 'hum' quit, I could hear a relay switch off. The 'hum' cycled on (for about 30 sec) then off, about 5 cycles total over the hour I was there. I know there is an ignition interlock, any other interlocks? Source (breaker) for the lift (TV?). Any way to manually lower the TV? I'm not sure of the brand of lift, but it is original to the coach.

Stumped (and smokey) in Oroville

2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Mike Shumack

Re: TV Lift experts?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 01:21:45 AM »
On my overhead lift, sometimes I have to push up (jiggling) on the TV cover a little while pressing the Down button to make it work (I suppose the internal position/limit switch needs adjustment). The manual for this TV lift is in the member's only section. http://beaveramb.org/coach-assist-members-only-new/

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 01:53:54 AM »
Mike, I think we have a different lift, ours only has one switch, push and hold for down, then push and hold for up. No need to wiggle lift, its always worked perfectly. Still scratchin' my head.....
thanks!
525 hp C13

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 03:47:45 AM »
Several years ago our TV's lift became intermittent.  One time I couldn't get it to lift up and almost had to drive the coach with the TV down.  After tinkering around, I determined the momentary switch was faulty.  I actually pulled the switch out of the cupboard and disconnected the wires.  I touched the two wires together and up the TV went.  I touched the wires together again and down the TV went.  After replacing the momentary switch, the TV's lift has worked flawlessly.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Mike Shumack

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 11:07:06 AM »
Bill, we should have the same mechanism. I have one button too. In my post I meant that when I am trying to open the lift and pressing button to make TV come "down" I have to push up on the TV to get the mechanism started. There are some adjustment screws on the mechanism (and some troubleshooting lights).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 11:12:52 AM by Mike Shumack »

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 05:21:41 PM »
Mike, I'm good with electronics and electricity due to 20 years in the Navy working all kinds of electronics.  My mechanical experience is somewhat less and sometimes painful!  I experienced the same problem you are describing on my drop down TV.  I believe our different year coaches use different lifts.  Anyway I though I was being smart when I noticed some looseness in the lift while it was up and we were driving.  I got the brilliant idea to put a couple of those little felt pads in to take up the slack and stop the bouncing.  Next time putting TV down it quit working and would not come down.  It seems that the thickness of the felt pads disrupted the alignment of the limit switches and kept it from working.  After 3 days and tearing the lift apart 3 times I finally figured it out and removed the felt, it now works perfectly.  I hope this might help someone sometime!!
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 09:50:20 PM »
Update-Went out to the Beaver today, started the gen and cycled the TV lift several times with no issues. The 'hum' I heard yesterday was also gone, I'm guessing it was the lift motor drawing locked rotor amps. Gremlins, I guess.
Thanks to all for the help!

Bill
525 hp C13

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 10:34:45 PM »
Bill, maybe all the smoke from the Camp fire blocked enough sun to your solar that the batteries got weak.