Author Topic: anyone know how to remove a basement door  (Read 4849 times)

Bill Stireman

anyone know how to remove a basement door
« on: March 19, 2011, 07:27:15 PM »
I have an '04 Monterey and I wish to remove a top mount basement door panel so I can have it re-painted.  Anyone know how to do this?

Bill Stireman
'04 Monterey
400 Cat :)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 04:47:58 PM by 5 »

Gerald Farris

Re: anyone know how to remove a basement door
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 09:31:41 PM »
Bill,
I am not certain about your 04 without looking at it, but on my 2000, the top hinged doors can be removed by disconnecting all wires (to electric bay door locks) and disconnecting the gas support struts (shocks) then lifting the doors up until the interlocking C hinges disengage.

Gerald  

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 02:56:23 AM »
Gerald is correct. But I would like to add that prior to disconnecting the gas shocks, look up under the open door at the "C" channel. Depending on the size of the door, there will be one or two white blocks and one black block. The black one is used to keep the door centered, so it doesn't move left or right. The white ones keep the door from falling out of the channel when it is lifted higher than the gas shocks. There is one screw holding each block in place. I used a number one Phillips screwdriver as the screw head is very small.    
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Bill Stireman

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 05:26:29 PM »
Thank you Gerald & Jim.  Following your guidance I was able (with some difficulty) to remove the basement door in question.  I did break off one of the screws in one of the white blocks and the white block broke in two during the process.  I will have to drill out the small screw and replace the white block, but I did get the door removed.

Bill Stireman
'04 Monterey
400 Cat