Author Topic: Leaking vent cover  (Read 3199 times)

Jason Worman

Leaking vent cover
« on: December 22, 2018, 03:53:24 PM »
The Fantastic Fan vent by our kitchen area has started to leak on one side. We had removed all the old sealant and resealed and have had no problems until recently. Went back on the roof and used more Dicor and still leaking. I'm wondering if installing a vent cover will help stop the leaks. Looking at purchasing either Fantastic fan or the Maxx air covers, anyone have a preference or experience with either brand? Thanks

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Leaking vent cover
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 04:02:54 PM »
You could have a roof leak a few to several feet away from the Fantastic Vent with the water running nearly horizontally between the roof and ceiling layers until it finds a hole, in this case your Fantastic Vent cutout, where it then runs downward through the ceiling.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 04:21:06 PM »
Jason,
It does not sound like a vent cover is going to fix your leak. A vent cover just lets you leave the vent open when it rains, but the vent cover closes over the opening so a closed vent will not leak unless the rubber weather-strip is torn and wind is blowing rain up under the vent. I agree with David, you need to look elsewhere for your leak.

Gerald

Doug Allman

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 04:33:25 PM »
Fantastic used to be real good with helping with parts, most always free. They have been bought out and nothing is free and I suspect they are doing the same as other manufacturers now, cheaping their product. We lately have used only the MAXX fan brand on 6 purchases and have had no problems in coach or in our work trailers. Entegra now uses all MAXX fans that are the fully automated, sensored fans, and so far for 21 months nothing has gone wrong.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 01:23:42 AM »
I have to agree, Jason, that on the Oregon coast dealing with recent storms, just putting a secondary cover over your vent is lipstick on the pig.  Wind blown rain is likely either invading past a compromised rubber lid seal (assuming your lid is closed during storms) or entering the inner roof via an adjoining fixture or wire entry that needs new flowable Dicor.  Been there, done that.  Take Gerald’s and David’s thoughts seriously.

If you affirm there is no other culprit and insist on leaving the lid open for ventilation during storms (I do not), then a MaxxAir or other cover may be advisable.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jason Worman

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 01:34:35 AM »
I got on the roof today and sealed the vent with plastic so will see what happens. I realized that the current vent is the original one and will replace with new part. I prefer the manual fans as you can securely tighten them down, also one less part to break. Replaced bathroom fan/vent and have had no problems. Inspected surrounding roof structures, all have been recently redone with Dicor.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 11:37:23 AM »
Jason, my experience tells me to look at the seal on the ajacent roof Air cond.  Older seals loose their resiliance and become loose.  People will often tighten the bolts but this can compress the roof leaving a shallow puddle around the a/c unit so when it rains enough it collects and flows over and around the seal.  Last I heard the new gaskett was about $25.  It may be that this leak is migrating into the roof and out around the fan. 

Hope this helps
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Jason Worman

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2018, 01:10:15 AM »
Keith,

So do I need to remove the entire ac unit to replace the gasket? Or can I just pull the cover? How hard is it to pull unit if need be?

Jason

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 12:22:33 PM »
Jason
So heres my story.  One of the first RV roofs I have done was a nightmare.  I knew it leaked some so I slowly removed all the sealant and replaced it with new Dicor going carefuly so to not miss anything.  Imagine my surprise when the rains hit and it started leaking like a sieve.  After much study and wory I found that the A/C gasket was leaking and the water was migrating between layers of the roof and just pouring in.   The motorhome was sitting at a slant and the leak showed up 6 ft. or more away.
I pulled the A/C off.  (kill the power, disconnect the wires in the ceiling.  loosen 4 bolts,  lift up and away).  The new thicker and improved gasket was a better material and sticky on one side to hold it down until the A/C is sitting on it.   It helps to have two people for the install.  Do not over tighten the bolts.
Good luck
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 12:31:06 PM by Carol Moffett »
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Jason Worman

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2018, 04:46:40 PM »
Keith,

Thanks I just need a dry day to get this done.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2018, 12:27:30 AM »
Jason
So heres my story.  One of the first RV roofs I have done was a nightmare.  I knew it leaked some so I slowly removed all the sealant and replaced it with new Dicor going carefuly so to not miss anything.  Imagine my surprise when the rains hit and it started leaking like a sieve.  After much study and wory I found that the A/C gasket was leaking and the water was migrating between layers of the roof and just pouring in.   The motorhome was sitting at a slant and the leak showed up 6 ft. or more away.
I pulled the A/C off.  (kill the power, disconnect the wires in the ceiling.  loosen 4 bolts,  lift up and away).  The new thicker and improved gasket was a better material and sticky on one side to hold it down until the A/C is sitting on it.   It helps to have two people for the install.  Do not over tighten the bolts.
Good luck

Good, concise description!
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett