Author Topic: Puck Light Bulb Replace  (Read 4807 times)

George L Smith

Puck Light Bulb Replace
« on: January 04, 2019, 05:06:40 AM »
I'm trying to replace the halogen lamps with LEDs. I am having trouble getting to the bulb in this puck light. Is there a trick to it?

Joe Moreschi

Re: Puck Light Bulb Replace
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 05:36:36 AM »
twist the ring sometimes they are a bear to turn so maybe a rubber jar opener will give you a little help.careful not to put pressure on the glass lens they  can break. Hope this helps

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 04:02:13 PM »
George,
One other thing that you may run into when installing LED blubs into your stock light fixtures (depending on blubs used) is that the blub circuit board can short out on the chrome reflector. If this is a possibility, you need to just pop out the reflector (reflectors are not needed with one direction LED blubs) before installing the LED blub.

Gerald 

Mike Humble

• BAC Member
  • BAC Past President 2014-2018
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 04:12:25 PM »
To get to the bulb take a small sharp object and carefully insert so the inner ring will pop down then you can get there.  Carefull that you don't drop the glass lens.
Mike
2008 Marquis 45' Cat C-15 600hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 11:22:51 PM »
As Joe noted, use a thin rubber glove or anti-skid material, whatever supplies traction, and press firmly up while turning the ring to disengage from its base.  You may have to use both sets of fingers for that maneuver, but try not to shatter the lens in the process.  The vinyl ceiling material often presses down so much that disengagement of the ring can’t be done bare-handed.

As I recall from prior threads here, the prongs on LED bulbs may need to insert in the socket a certain way, and may require clipping shorter.

Also if you expect to save and reuse the halogens, as with automotive lamps don’t handle them bare-fingered;  skin oil can ruin them.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jim Edwards

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 04:21:41 PM »
Hi I had some initial difficulty based on the bulb type I later found that the two types of bulbs below fit quite nicely and worked quite well 48 bulbs later the shape of the second one listed worhed a bit better for the under cabinate lights.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DQFKVYS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
or
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0787YFJPJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just a thought

Jim Edwards
2005 Monterey Laguna III, 40 ft Cat C9
2007 Country Coach Affinity 45 ft Cummins 600
15 Grand Cherokee

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 07:12:13 PM »
  A piece of 2" duct folded over in the center for a handle and the outer ends stuck to the lens and ring give you leverage and prevent dropping the lens when you turn counter-clockwise.

Fred Brooks
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 08:57:59 PM »
Note that your Multiplex allows for certain ones to dim, and the description of many LED lamps say they are not dimmable.   
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Tom Webber

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 01:45:23 PM »
All my halogen pin lights are 10 watt, would there be a problem with replacing them with 20 watt LED. Any help would be appreciated.
06 Monterey
CAT 350HP C9

Gerald Farris

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 02:24:14 PM »
Tom,
There is no problem with replacing your 10W halogen blubs with 20W equivalent LED blubs because the LED blubs operate at much less wattage and without heat. However, replacing your 10W halogen blubs with 20W halogen blubs can cause a problem because you are doubling the heat and power consumption both.

Gerald

Mike Shumack

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 02:26:36 PM »
I just replaced all the ceiling (living room, Kitchen, and Bedroom) lights with these (from M4). http://www.m4products.com/g4-18-5630-side-nw-natural-white-elite-series-g4-t3-samsung-5630-leds-side-pins-to-replace-20w-halogen/

They are 20W halogen equivalent. I was not sure what the original halogen lights were rated at. But they seem to me to be the correct brightness for the area.

My coach already had the LED lights in it. The previous owner replaced the original halogens with LEDs, but they where not high quality lights and many of them flickered. I tried to replace those with what I thought were better quality fro Amazon, but even those flickered.

So I decided to just get the best (M4 Elite Series at around $12 each, less discount on ordering a large qty and using the RVGEEK5 coupon). So far they are working great. No flickering at all.

Here is a picture of the old LED lights (the cheap ones I removed). There where three different brands installed (maybe that contributed to the problems). I should have taken a picture of the backside of the new M4 lights (maybe I will), but the M4 Elite series lights are "fully encapsulated in epoxy" on the back. The level of quality is much better. Also they are non-polarity sensitive and dimmable.

The M4 lights are 1-1/2" diameter (without pins) and they "just barely fit" (the old halogen reflector cup has been removed). M4 also has a smaller diameter LED (1-1/4") which is 10W equivalent (210 lumens). I'm not sure how much difference that would be in interior brightness compared to the 20W equivalent (600 lumens).

« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 02:34:26 PM by Mike Shumack »

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 05:08:31 PM »
So I've been on the hunt for a while to find LEDs that will fit my ceiling fixtures. If I remove the reflector so that the LED will fit, the light socket then just floats in mid-air, as without the reflector, there is nothing to hold the socket. Mike, how did you work around this, just let the LED 'find its own way' and lay against the lens?
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Mike Shumack

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 05:30:17 PM »
The LED plugs into the socket and it just hangs there. There is not much room in the fixture even with the reflector removed, so the LED can't really move. Even if it sits at a slight angle it is not noticeable once the lens cover is reinstalled.

Robin Goffrier

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2019, 07:05:03 PM »
Had one of the circular hi intensity  ceiling galley lights burn out. Could not figure out how to get to the bulb. Older forum post had 2 suggestions. First was to simply pull out inner ring that surrounds glass. Second was to turn the fixture 1/4 turn CCW to remove fixture from ceiling and headliner. Absolutely could not get fixture to turn.  So used finger nail to test inner ring tightness. Center came right out. Removed old bulb and replaced.  After a few frustrating attempts to twist fixture piece of cake pulling out center ring and glass. Im guessing these fixtures weren't  necessarily universal in 07 - 09 Contessas. But if it sounds like yours, go for the removable center ring. And by the way, with  the inner ring and glass gone, the 2 screws that affix the light fixture to the ceiling are also exposed.

Jim Edwards

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 06:20:08 PM »
Hi I have found 2 bulbs at Amazon that work quite nicely:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DQFKVYS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0787YFJPJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Both these bulbs are small enough to fit in the puck lights and have silimar brightness to the halogen bulbs they replaced with no dimming applied.

Of note, I contacted Intellitec tech support for MY SYSTEM and they indicated that the LED does not have to be rated as dimmable because the light dimming switch uses PWM (Pulse width modulation) to dim the bulbs, not voltage change.  I will say that although the led bulbs dim, they do not dim as much as the halogen bulbs.

Jim Edwards
2005 Monterey Laguna III, 40 ft Cat C9
2007 Country Coach Affinity 45 ft Cummins 600
15 Grand Cherokee