Author Topic: Battery/Charging/Transfer Box Screwup  (Read 2126 times)

Henry Nelson

Battery/Charging/Transfer Box Screwup
« on: January 05, 2019, 03:51:11 PM »
I have no idea of what’s going on with my ‘96 Beaver Monterey 34’ charging system. So, here’s a list of symptoms with the hope that someone can point me in the right direction:

1) My heating system just turned off (29 degrees out). It appears that my 12v is drained even though I am plugged into 110v at a park.
2) My chassis batteries are dead. They are newly replaced as the precvious 4 month old unit weee dry as a bone.
3) All 110v appears to work
4) My Heart Inverter remote display shows STEADY lit LEDS at INV/CHRG, AC INPUT, but the OVERLOAD LED is blinking. The BATTERY status LED is off.
5) The AC LED on the fridge went off.
6) I started the coach up and the voltmeter is showing 11.5 V.
7) I just flipped off the Heart Inverter remote and the Inverter 30amp circuit breaker. Gave it a minute while the mh is running. I turned them back on and the OVERLOAD LED is now off. DC VOLTS LED is on at 12.5V, DC AMP LED is showing 5 amps.
8) I just checked outside 110v park breaker and we have 119v coming in.

QUESTION:
1) What ‘runs’ the furnace? Chassis batteries or house batteries?
2) What charges the house batteries?
3) What charges the chassis batteries?
4) The battery isolation unit makes zero sounds (although it did hum a couple times when I plugged in). How does this work? Dirty contacts perhaps? This mh sat for 4 years.

OBSERVATIONS:
1) Running down the road the chassis voltmeter never goes over 12.25v. Less when I put on the headlights.
2) I can drive for hours and still have low voltage on the chassis batteries.
3) My chassis batteries were only 4 months old when the sulfates due to no water. I thought they were sealed. Wrong and too late to save them. This new set is about 1 month old.
4) The house batteries (4) are high end sealed units and are 6 months old.
5) It appears I run on the inverter when parked and plugged in but I’m not sure. How do I check?

Ok. I’m ready for the answer!

Gerald Farris

Re: Battery/Charging/Transfer Box Screwup
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 10:19:03 PM »
Henry,
Answering all of your questions will get very involved since you are a new owner with a steep leaning curve and there are several variables, so the best solution would be for you to just call me so that I can walk you through the process of diagnosing your issues.

Gerald
713-254-4156   

Doug Allman

Re: Battery/Charging/Transfer Box Screwup
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 02:48:41 PM »
Harold, there is no better help than Gerald in your situation. Others may be able to but just call Gerald and you will not go wrong. You will learn a lot due to this need and be better prepared as you roll down the highway.