Author Topic: Lose TV signal when bedroom light switch is on!  (Read 2323 times)

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
Lose TV signal when bedroom light switch is on!
« on: January 16, 2019, 01:41:11 PM »
Ok this is the strangest thing ever. I noticed lately that our tv signal would come and go.  This morning when I went into the bedroom and turned on the light the tv lost it’s signal.  When I turned it off it came back. I did this several times with the same outcome. I checked all three switches for the bedroom ceiling lights and they all have the same outcome. Hubby is out of town so I thought I’d check here until I can talk to him.

Thanks,
Laura
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
2008 Beaver Marq. Amethyst
Cat C15

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Lose TV signal when bedroom light switch is on!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 01:53:52 PM »
Laura,
Sounds like you are losing power someplace. Are you using Cable, Satellite, or OTA? If satellite, does your converter box stay on?
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 10:28:51 PM »
Our old family room TV at home would occasionally be affected when our microwave or 4-tube fluorescent kitchen ceiling fixture were turned on.  A few factors were in play;  one, our TV signal is via off-air (broadcast) and the antenna is in the kitchen attic, within feet of the antenna so the microwave and fixture’s startup electric fields could briefly interrupt the antenna’s reception.   Two, we are just barely within a very narrow signal path between hills to the main area broadcast towers, so the signal is borderline to start with and easily interfered with by things like fir trees moving in strong wind or a helicopter in between.  Three, the TV went through periods when it would not completely receive or decode certain channels, a problem other TVs in the house on the same antenna circuit did not exhibit.  Our new family room TV doesn’t display the same issues.  I also recently went to LED lamps in the big kitchen overhead, so the old fluorescent tube starters are out of the picture anyway.

In your case it could be a distant signal is just too weak to start with and easily interfered with.  Often the opposite is true... if towers are close and the booster/amp is on it can over-amplify the signal.  And a weak signal is more readily interrupted by nearby electronic devices like multiplex switches or fluorescent starters, or even some inverters.  Now if you’re signal is via park cable or satellite, the issue may be with the TV’s internal components that are supposed to help nullify interfering electrical fields.  If the TV is the old NTSC tuner (analog) and needs a converter, the converter may be the problem... some like one I had to renovate had bad Samsung capacitors.  I assume your 2008 coach TVs are ATSC (digital) and not in that boat.

Regardless, unless the problem is simply with broadcast distance, there likely is no easy fix.

Joel
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 10:35:51 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 01:39:41 AM »
Steve it’s while using the OTA. It doesn’t do it with the cable or satellite box. Just very weird. 
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
2008 Beaver Marq. Amethyst
Cat C15

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 02:43:33 AM »
It’s not all that weird.  Lights inside, especially fluorescents and those in the ceiling, can put out a field that interrupts incoming off-air broadcast signals, as I inferred in my previous post.  It’s much like on a car where capacitors are used under the hood to help nullify fields emanating from ignition systems that otherwise would interrupt radio reception.  Even if your lights have such field nullificators (is that a word? 😂 ), a weak and very distant broadcast can more easily be interfered with.  Did you see what happens with the antenna booster/amp turned off or on, or try tweaking the antenna position?

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 01:45:32 PM »
Laura,
As Joel noted, see what the antenna booster is doing when this happens. I'm assuming you have a unit that shows signal strength. See if the signal strength drops when lights are on. If you don't have a signal strength readout, try turning the booster off and back on when you lose signal.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp