Author Topic: C9 fuel filter change procedure  (Read 7218 times)

Will Hansen

• BAC Member
C9 fuel filter change procedure
« on: April 06, 2019, 07:25:55 PM »
Time has come to change the fuel filters on my C9 400hp. The more I’ve read, the more worried I’ve become that I can get myself into an air lock, or worse, damage my injectors. I’ve searched the forum and the BAC technical resources and read all available info on the fuel system, but haven’t found an actual step by step procedure to follow for a C9 or any of the other CATs for that matter.

CAT says to *NOT* pre-fill the filters. So I intend to follow their guidance.

I have the proper filters. Assuming I change the primary first, how do I clear the air from the line after replacing the filter? Do I loosen the ‘in’ fitting on the secondary housing until fuel pumps out?  Seems like I’d get some fuel, then some air, then fuel again and make a mess. Do I just crank the engine and hope the air clears back to the fuel tank via the return line? So, a procedure for changing the primary filter is my first question.

I’m thinking I should then run the engine for some number of minutes to make sure all is well.

My secondary housing has a little hand pump sticking out the back. To change the secondary, I assume I lube the new filter gasket and spin it on. Then unscrew the little pump handle and start stroking. But where do I purge the air? And how do I know I’m done pumping?

Thanks in advance.

-Will

Will and Carla Hansen
Zoe the Yorkie-Pom (ol' Eagle Bait)
2007 Contessa Laguna
C9 400hp Cat
2015 RAM 1500

Mike Shumack

Re: C9 fuel filter change procedure
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 08:36:36 PM »
I always fill fuel filters.

Here's a video on the subject you may find interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6MLDH0zTpw

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejf8ix9nitc
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 08:46:02 PM by Mike Shumack »

Bryan Beamon

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 10:28:47 PM »
Will, even when we have Cat do an oil change and filters we have requested that they prefilled the fuel filters and they have preferred that method. The hand pump on your engine is difficult to use to fill your filters and the one time we tried the pump it took forever to crank the engine to get it to start. We have done 20 filter changes on our 07 Contessa with no problems and prefilled the fuel filters.
C & Bryan Beamon
2006  to present
2007 Contessa 42ft Cat C-9 400hp
1996 to 2006 97 Beaver Patriot Camden

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 11:19:40 PM »
The reason I have been told for not pre filling fuel filters was possible contamination in the fuel used to fill.  As it doesn't pass through the filter it could feed impurities into the injectors.  If you have good fuel it shouldn't be a problem should it?
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Mike Shumack

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 11:32:17 PM »
Here is one more video on priming the fuel system. This one uses a vacuum pump on the fuel return line.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGIRz7cf9SM
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Will Hansen

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 12:03:58 AM »
I have seen discussion of using a threaded bolt to plug the center of the new filter and then filling only the outside (unfiltered) side of the filter with unfiltered diesel. That would seem a decent compromise. Will be interested to hear more opinions and experience on this topic.

I’ve watched all these YouTube vids prior to original post. Still hoping for a procedure that does not involve filling.

-Will
Will and Carla Hansen
2007 Contessa Laguna
C9 400hp Cat
2015 RAM 1500

Mike Shumack

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 12:36:49 AM »
I have seen discussion of using a threaded bolt to plug the center of the new filter and then filling only the outside (unfiltered) side of the filter with unfiltered diesel. That would seem a decent compromise. Will be interested to hear more opinions and experience on this topic.

I’ve watched all these YouTube vids prior to original post. Still hoping for a procedure that does not involve filling.

-Will

That was sort of what was shown in the first video (second part on fuel filters) but rather than a threaded bolt, he used a plastic plug/cap - the kind that come on a new fitting. But if you have something else to keep the center hole blocked that would work.
Like these https://www.amazon.com/Tear-Threads-2-500-MOCAP-TCNPT2500RD1/dp/B00SW0Y8SA/ref=sr_1_144?keywords=fitting%2Bthread%2Bprotection%2Bcap&qid=1554593682&s=gateway&sr=8-144&th=1

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 01:06:20 AM »
I used to use a 1" 14 threaded bolt to plug the center but now I use a rubber stopper plug that's just the right size, Cat motor with electronic injectors don't do well if you don't full the filter, you can kill a injector if you run it out of fuel.

Chuck Jackson

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2019, 01:54:34 AM »
On my C9s, I changed the primary (water/fuel separator) filter and then started the engine to get fuel into the primary and any air purged. I then changed the secondary (2 micron) then used the hand pump to prime the fuel filter and system. Then started the engine and it fired right up. For my engine there is no need to prefill the fuel filters. It accomplishes nothing.
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4328
2008 Beaver Contessa 40' Pacifica 425 Cat - Sold
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Keith Moffett

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2019, 05:36:29 AM »
Not all Cat motors have hand pumps, we always filled the filters pump or no pump.
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2019, 06:25:40 PM »
Gentleman, this is a very good subject and many times we talk about this. Ask Dave in technical
Section, information fron Caterpillar Service information is posted. One thing I will suggest prefilling
Fuel filters is not recommended unless suggestion by lee to block center of fuel filter with plug or
Pipe and fill filter from outside holes. Dave Atherton Retired Caterpillar Mechanic
The following users thanked this post: Bryan Beamon, Chuck Jackson

Will Hansen

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2019, 09:37:29 PM »
I appreciate the various suggestions I’ve gotten on this thread. Here’s how it shook out... A title for what follows could be “Changing CAT C9 fuel filters for dummies”

Despite the official CAT stance that fuel filters should be installed dry and my fear about breaking this rule, the thought of leaving the primary dry seemed even scarier (since I have not yet done the 206-5756 priming pump kit mod).

So I chose a combo wet-dry approach to changing my 2 fuel filters. That is, I filled the primary and did not fill the secondary. My reasoning was that a) using a rubber stopper (purchased at Lowe’s and also available at ACE Hardware stores) allows filling the primary filter via the outer (dirty side) holes and b) if I drove the coach after the primary filter change, any contamination I introduced in changing the primary would be caught by the old secondary filter before I then changed it. Here are a few details and observations from my rookie point of view:

I cut a hole in a small cardboard box to hold the new primary filter securely upright, plugged the center hole with the clean new rubber stopper, then slowly poured unfiltered fuel into the ring of small holes around the plug. As I did so, I could see the inner chamber of the new filter filling with filtered fuel. In fact, since I’d used the valve to check for water in the old primary (out of curiosity) before unscrewing it, the new filter ended up having more fuel in it than the old one. This was a confidence builder.

Then screwed the new filter on per instructions on the filter.

The engine started easily and kept running and seemed smooth but the check engine light fluttered on and off for about 15 seconds. All good after that. Drove the coach for about 20 miles (necessary weekly trip to dump our tanks).

Then I tackled the secondary by first making sure I could unscrew the handle of the little priming pump attached to the secondary filter base. Couldn’t do it with my gloved hand but got it turning with slight help from a pair of channel-locks.  Unscrewed it and tried a test stroke to see what using this pump was like. Pretty stiff resistance and very awkward to reach in and use, but do-able.

Next, I made sure that I could loosen the secondary filter.

Then I removed the wrapping from the new filter and set it in a secure upright position where it would stay clean.

Spun off the old filter, dipped a finger and used fuel from it to lube the gasket on the new filter. Then spun it on. Tightened per instructions on the filter.

Finally, started stroking the pump. A stroke is only about 2 inches and there was minor resistance in both directions. Did 57 strokes before resistance seemed to max out. Screwed the pump handle back in and tightened by hand. This number of strokes may seem daunting but just takes a couple minutes. No big deal. It’s just that the pump faces away from you and you must reach in past the filter base and fuel lines to get at it.

I never heard a check valve click while pumping but did hear a quiet whining/sucking noise that was proportional to the pump resistance I felt. Sound stopped a few seconds after I paused pumping and resumed when I started pumping again.

Engine started right up, no unusual ‘check engine’ lights, no extra cranking, no problems.  Big relief. Checked another box on coach ownership!
Will and Carla Hansen
2007 Contessa Laguna
C9 400hp Cat
2015 RAM 1500
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 11:43:13 PM »
The new Cat fuel filters for my C 13 (1R-0749) show that you do fill the filter with fuel. The picture on the side of the filter shows filling it after you thread it on a couple of turns. I want to see that done laying on your back under my coach. I do not have a priming pump so you had better fill the filter or you will have a bear of a time getting her started and you can damage a injector(s) if they fire without fuel, so I have been informed.

Chuck Jackson

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2019, 03:17:40 AM »
That’s strange. This picture shows that it says not to pre-fill.
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4328
2008 Beaver Contessa 40' Pacifica 425 Cat - Sold

Bill Sprague

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2019, 03:56:52 PM »
If anyone reading for general information and has one of those odd Beavers by Monaco with a Cummins I have a long, expensive story to tell.

The short version is you put the fuel filters on dry.  Then you turn the ignition to on (not start) and the "lift pump" runs for about half a minute.  If you walk briskly to the back you will hear it.  After the third or fourth time, the tone will change as the air is replaced by fuel. 

The electric lift pump is part of the Cummins engine and is there to "lift" the fuel from the distant tank to the engine.  One running, I think it just sits there with fuel being sucked through it by the primary fuel pump. 

You can do this in the middle on nowhere and a rough running, jerky motorhome will return to being a dreamboat, magic carpet ride.