Author Topic: Girard wind sensor cups. Found them cheap, bought a spare as well.  (Read 4539 times)

Dwight Lakusta

Girard wind sensor cups. Found them cheap, bought a spare as well.
« on: September 02, 2019, 09:28:41 PM »
I found and ordered these wind cups on eBay.  Has a nice little set screw on it.  Slide it on. Tighten the Allen key. That’s it.

eBay item number. 201958577806

Item description.

Davis Vantage Vue Wind Cups for ISS 7342-178

Came from the U.K. but all in was not bad. Took a month to get. But it’s fixed, and I have a spare.
The following users thanked this post: Bryan Beamon

Mike Shumack

Re: Girard wind sensor cups. Found them cheap, bought a spare as well.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 12:41:39 AM »
I ordered one. Thanks

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Dwight Lakusta

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 04:07:30 PM »
I found that on the google as well. They wanted 45 dollars American shipping... but somehow the U.K. can ship for 15 dollars

Walter Lee Atterholt

• Lee, USN ret, LVN2 ret. Calif Peace Officer ret
  • BAC Member
  • Jack of many trades
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 03:49:11 AM »
  After much searching found this post and ordered new cups.  After drilling out the shaft to fit everything looked ok.   Alas the cups lasted but 1000 miles- only had 1 cup left.  Contacted Girard and found they have a replacement unit.  The cups have been made much improved and are more like curved fingers with very heavy reinforced fins.  Received the unit in 4 days and easy replacement.  Cost $150.  Hardest part is determining where the wires go but found the connections inside the cabinet above the door on my 98 Monterey 3600  Make sure you connect the wires correctly or the awning will extend instead of retract.  easy to test with an air compressor and air nozzle.
 Found part of the problem is the mechanism bearings gets bad and the shaft can lock then spin while traveling down the road.  The thin cups from a wind monitor can't handle the sudden stop and break off.  New unit spins super easy
2018 - july 2019 - 86 Marquis
36ft Cat 3208 Gillig chassis

July 2019 - 98 Monterey 3600
Cat 3126  300hp

towd - Can-Am Spyder F3s on an alumna trailer

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 08:35:52 PM »
After replacing mine twice due to low tree branches mine is staying naked from now on.
I dont leave my awning out anyway when I am not out under it, way to quick of wind gusts where we are for the winter!
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 01:29:51 PM »
    Here is another consideration. The awning was originally engineered for people who wanted temporary shade in there back yard 30 years ago in France. Then somewhere along the way, they decided that this awning was built so well that it could be used on Luxury coaches. Here is the issue, the original 3 cup anemometer was designed to be used in a residential application. If the awning was left unattended, the wind anemometer would signal the awning to close if the threshold wind speed exceeded the preset choice inside the controller module. The 3 cup anemometer was never intended to endure 65 mph wind speed mile after mile. The new curved blade anemometer was engineered by Girard for the present application with larger and more enduring ball bearings. Merry Christmas, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Paul Meehan, Laurence Mitchell, Andrew Shoen

Johnny Beaver

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2020, 01:35:52 AM »
 I found the Amazon item AcuRite 06031RM Replacement Wind Cups for 5-in-1 Weather Sensors worked well. Drill out just a little and press on. About $10.
 I previously used a LaCrosse Scientific, but it got caught on a low limb...
 I was advised to adjust speed down slightly. Mine works well and recalls well with these cups.  Just another option.
2003 Patriot Thunder
CAT12 - 505
Jeep GC Overland