Author Topic: Tire Sensors  (Read 6271 times)

LarryNCarolynShirk

Tire Sensors
« on: August 28, 2010, 02:22:14 AM »
I just recived this email from Jerry Pattison:

Hi, Larry!  I remember having a discussion with you about intermittent tire sensors on your toad.  I recently experienced the same thing, both rear tires on the toad, and have concluded that the problem is that the valve stem rubber is larger than the inside diameter of the sensor shoulder.  That prevents the sensor from going onto the stem far enough to depress the valve.  I temporarily solved the problem by muscling the sensor on a bit farther.  Seems to have solved the problem, but my belief is that it is still marginal.  When it cools off a bit around here (100 degrees here again, Rapid City) I will get out the Dremel tool and shave some of that rubber off so the sensor goes on even further.

BTW, I had the tires installed at Costco, so the valve stems are the ones they put on.

If you want to post this on the forum, feel free.  Perhaps someone else is having the same issue.  

Jerry

Larry
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 02:35:03 AM by 14 »

LarryNCarolynShirk

Re: Tire Sensors
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 02:34:24 AM »
Jerry,

I took off the sensors that were not working, waited 30 seconds and reinstalled them.  The toad sensors work so far, but the weak sensor on the left outside dual did not improve.  I replaced that sensor with a new one and it functions well.  I concluded it was a weak battery after about 5 years of use.  If you call the manufacturer, they will send you a new one for $35.  

They said if you hear air escaping when you screw on the sensor and then it stops when tight, the valve is working properly.  If you do not hear air escaping, you may need to replace the valve core.

You should have remained on the Oregon coast where it is 63 degrees and partly sunny, no rain.

Larry
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 08:16:23 AM by 14 »

Gary Schenck

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 03:24:31 AM »
What kind of tire sensors are you running?  And or what kind would you recommend?

GS

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 06:44:30 PM »
I use Pressure Pro.  You can search for it on this forum to see previous discussions.

Larry

Jerry Pattison

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 11:21:22 PM »
I am using Tire-Safeguard.  Very satisfied so far!

Keith Cooper

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 12:31:17 PM »
we use a tire system technology TPMS 507 system which has replacable batteries in the sensors. So far the results are all positive

Jerry and Kay Hudson

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 01:40:38 PM »
same here on the TST TPMS...had trouble with a couple of sensors in the beginnning but they stood behind their product.

Jerry