Author Topic: Magnum Inverter question MS2812  (Read 2693 times)

Darrell Terry

• BAC Member
Magnum Inverter question MS2812
« on: October 30, 2019, 10:48:43 PM »
Installed residential refrigerator in May 2109.  Installation also included upgrade to Magnum 2812 Inverter.
RV remodel technicians installed and setup new inverter, I have no idea about the parameters they used.

No issues with Inverter until yesterday. Temperature was 32 yesterday and 26 today.
Inverter and Charger both in on position.

Samsung refrigerator-18RF , 1500 watt Heater and LCD TV all operating when power shut down at all AC outlets except both Heat-pumps and W/D.
Magnum Inverter showed Red light -  Checked  fault  - H1-D   Low Battery.

Knowing nothing about the new Inverter, I climbed into basement to check out.
Found CB-1 Input 30 A breaker had popped out.  Reset breaker and everything fine until this morning when same thing occurred.

Any thoughts/ideas on why this breaker tripped ?  Should I leave Inverter turned off unless I am dry camping ?
Why would a low battery pop breaker and shut down inverter ?

Please help - Old inverter was Xantrex and I have no prior experience with Magnum.

Darrell
2004 Monterey
350 Cummins ISC

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Magnum Inverter question MS2812
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 11:42:20 PM »
  Darrell, If you are on "shore Power" there is no need to have the Inverter on although it is in the standby mode ready to power up the refer the moment you unplug the coach. It kind of sounds like you have too much plugged into the inverter pass-thru circuit. These are duplex recepts that also power up the lavy circuit, front and rear tv's and electronics, the galley circuit and 1 duplex in the storage compartment. Not sure what state the house batteries are in, regardless you exceeded the rating on the circuit breaker. Try plugging the 1500 watt heater on another duplex that is not on the inverter circuit. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 11:44:10 PM »
Your coach is plugged into 30 amp or 50 amp shore power?
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Darrell Terry

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 12:14:43 AM »
Fred,
 I expect that is the case, but with my former Xantrex inverter that condition would trip a breaker in my sub-electrical panel and not trip the inverter.
 Is there something wrong with the Magnum inverter set-up that would cause the inverter to trip first.

David,
50 amp shore power
2004 Monterey
350 Cummins ISC

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 12:25:27 AM »
   Darrell, Good question, Let me assure you,  Magnum is far superior unit, I am not sure how the technician set up the remote. Variables include type of batteries, how many, and ampere rating, Charge rate set for 15, 20, 30 amp supply from 120volt power source. Advise on the batteries and how old and I'll look it up from my notes and advise on the correct settings. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
The following users thanked this post: Andrew Shoen

Darrell Terry

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 01:18:28 AM »
Fred,
 Interstate 6 volt deep cycle purchased from Costco in 6/2018.     4 batteries / Flooded
2004 Monterey
350 Cummins ISC

Darrell Terry

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 01:22:25 AM »
Fred,
 208 AH
2004 Monterey
350 Cummins ISC

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 02:21:49 PM »
https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/sites/default/files/MagArchive/64-0003-Rev-D-ME-RC.pdf
   Enclosed is the Magnum RC remote owners manual. I tried to download it for you but it is too big. Keep in mind the manual is written by an Engineer so his point of view is skewed, I have found if you read it one section at a time with your hands on it makes good sense. Your battery amp hour capacity is 416 amps (2 batteries in series and 2 batteries in parallel) When you get started on page 6 in "set -up" and scroll thru to battery amp capacity, choose "420 amps" then push the knob to save and you will see an arrow next to your choice indicating you have selected it. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Darrell Terry

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2019, 06:14:14 PM »
Thanks Fred - I printed out the manual yesterday. Although what came on my flash drive was revision #C.
I will look over revision #D too see what has changed.
2004 Monterey
350 Cummins ISC

Al Anderson

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 08:29:15 PM »
Darrel,

I installed a residential fridge last summer too and when I was going through looking at the power my inverter circuit had running through it, with the fridge pulling its max amperage, I realized I would not be able to run a heater and the other items you are talking about.  If the items you are talking about and assuming you are running any power to your batteries, you will see you are bumping the 30 amp limit.  When I hooked an amp meter to my inverter and watched it only charge my golf cart batteries, it was pulling over 10 amps there alone.

Since I was in there doing it the conversion myself, I converted one of my outlets off of the 30 amp inverter circuit, and put it on a circuit that was only powered up by shore.  I also went through and tested what outlets where powered up with the inverter breaker off and labeled them as the only ones I would use to high amperage items like heaters or hair dryers.

I wouldn't be surprised if you do the same you will not have any additional problems.
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks