Author Topic: Transynd Oil Change  (Read 65996 times)

Don Hircock

Transynd Oil Change
« on: May 16, 2011, 12:25:38 AM »
I have a 2005 Monterey (build date 8/2004) with an Allison 3000 transmission.  It has 33000 miles on it and I'm just wondering if, because of age, the transynd transmission is due for a change?  Thanks,  Don
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 09:33:48 PM by 14 »

Gerald Farris

Re: Transynd Oil Change
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 01:07:34 AM »
Don,
According to the transmission oil change schedule that Allison has issued for your transmission, you are past due for an oil change. However because of the low milage and dry area that you normally travel in, I would not be in a big rush. I would change the transmission fluid and filter at the next time you change the engine oil.

Gerald

Don Hircock

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 03:05:51 AM »
Thanks Gerald,

We came over the hills today from Grand Junction to a few miles north of Denver to Transwest to have my annual oil change and service tomorrow.  They have 50 amp hookup for us to spend the night and have treated me good the past 3 years on some repair stuff so am including the transmission oil change and filters too.  What are the Allison specs for transynd and filter change?  I was thinking 100,000 miles but the years passed me by.  Thanks,  Don

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 03:46:06 AM »
Don,
The Transynd fluid change recommendations that Allison list for your transmission are;

General service- 300,000 miles or 4 years
Severe service- 150,000 miles or 4 years

Filter change at;

General or severe service-  75,000 miles or 3 years

Personally I just use the four year time frame for fluid and filter change, so that they are always changed at the same time. That makes it easier for an old person like me to remember.

Gerald
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 03:58:51 AM by 235 »

Don Hircock

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 04:54:59 PM »
Gerald,  

Thanks for the information.  Looks like my thinking about miles was incorrect.  I'll just do the 4 years from now on even if it does appear the transynd is going to cost around $600.  I guess Allison must really be proud of that oil.  

Don

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 11:51:37 PM »
Don,
To me $600 sounds a little above the price that I would expect to pay for a fluid and filter change. I would call around a little first. However you would have to have substantial savings to warrant driving very far out of your way.

Gerald

Edward Buker

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 01:37:57 AM »
I caught a sale at Clark Internation Dealership in Pensacola at $28 and change per gallon. (usually about $33) The Allison filter set was about $65 dollars at that same dealer. I used 8 gallons and the filter set. With tax it was about $300 for materials. That is a do it yourself price so you can figuire an appropriate labor charge of maybe $150 or so. I see $450 to $500 as about right. If they were going to use more fluid or drop a cooler line to completely replace the fluid that would be extra. For my case it will take two fluid changes to take advantage of the extended TranSynd interval. Hope this helps.

later Ed

David Fischer

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 01:56:05 PM »
I have just had my Transynd oil changed at WW Williams in Columbia, SC.  I have an Allison 4000 and the cost was around $400, which included all filters of course.  I cannot give the exact cost as I had a few other things done while there.  But 500 would be on the very high side for a 3000.
That was when I found out that th 100000 mile that is advertized is not for motorhomes, as they take so long to reach thet millage.  Four years is max.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 12:59:08 PM »
At the aparent high cost of Transynd and the 4 year deal, why is it better to use the transynd that the original dextron 111.  Perhaps in a 3 year cycle?
When converting to transynd, is there a proceedure for the first fill to eliminate as much of the old as possible?
No one in our area does Allison so what do I need to look out for on my first attempt?
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 02:41:54 PM »
Keith;
There are several reasons to use Transynd instead of Dexron III when you service your transmission. The first and most important reason is that Transynd lubricates better. If you change to Transynd from Dexron III, your transmission operating temperature will drop about 15 degrees because of less friction.

Next the cost of service will be less on Transynd over four years because of the labor cost in replacing the Dexron III four times (every 12 months), and replacing the Transynd only once.

The change-over method that you can use to remove all of the Dexron III when changing to Transynd is to remove the line running from the transmission cooler to the transmission after you have drained and refilled the transmission. Then crank the engine and let it idle as the transmission pumps the new fluid through the torque converter and transmission cooler and turn off the engine as soon as you see the fluid color change as the old darker Dexron III is exhausted and the lighter color Transynd starts to replace it. Then top-off the transmission fluid to the full level after reconnecting the cooler line.

This method will take about 2 gallons more fluid, but it will extend your next change to four years with one fluid change, instead of the two changes necessary to extend to four years with the drain and refill method.

Gerald  

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 02:30:18 AM »
Gerald, can Transynd be tested to see if it needs to be changed?

Gerald Farris

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 06:09:47 PM »
Allison does offer an oil analysis program. This article was copied from Allison's website.

Gerald

Allison Transmission offers an oil analysis program that will allow you to extend the life of your fluids to their maximum potential. The Oil Analysis Kit is available from our Distributor and Dealer network at very reasonable pricing. Ask for (P/N 29537805).

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 02:04:14 AM »
Thanks that may be the least e expensive and best for the enviorment.

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 12:02:26 AM »
I just had my transmission changed over to transynd by Quinn CAT. The tech told me he used a cleaner before filling with the transynd. When I asked if he circulated out the old fluid in the cooler he said no, that there wasn't enough in the system to hurt the transynd. What do you think, I am not so sure about this.
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Joel Weiss

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 12:09:25 AM »
It is my understanding that this is a perfectly acceptable way of switching to Transynd.  No harm is done by having some of the old fluid mixed with the Transynd, but neither will it provide you with the same long term protection.  What is usually recommended in these cases is to repeat the fluid change at roughly one year (the normal Dextron interval) and then to switch to the 3-4 year Transynd change interval.