Author Topic: Front overhead TV won't go down  (Read 3338 times)

Robert McVicker

Front overhead TV won't go down
« on: March 06, 2020, 04:07:01 AM »
Just purchased my 07 Patriot Thunder in Fl. I drove to Va went to watchtv and and TV won't go down ,motor just hums after pressing wall switch.  Ignition key in off position slides out. Any thoughts Is there come sort of lockout? New to BAC thanks in advance

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Front overhead TV won't go down
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 05:09:15 AM »
You wouldn’t be the first here to report problems with a ceiling-mount TV.  Wait a bit and someone who’s been there will likely respond.  In the interim, if you hear the motor run I’d guess it’s not a lock-out issue, but perhaps a mechanism failure.

This time of night there’s not often many members logged on.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gene Obie

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 05:32:13 AM »
It might not think it's fully up. You might try pushing up on the TV lift a bit with one hand while pressing the switch. If that doesn't work you can try press lift button and when you hear the motor release and press again fairly rapidly - it might reverse. That has worked for me for whatever reason on 05 Marquis.
-Gene

2005 Beaver Marquis, Ruby 40, C-13 Cat 525HP, Allison 4k
Towing 2018 F-150
Washington

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 11:36:07 AM »
Robert and Gene
One difference in 2007 was the Beavers went to the Intellitec system so the switches are different.  I would try all the tests Gene mentioned anyway Robert.  In addition you might turn off the coach power switch by the entry door and wait 30 sec or so then push up on the TV and push the button at the same time.  I hope the motor just pushed the tV up too tight and once you get it down you wont have further problems.  There is a reference to this I think in the manual where it says not to hold the button after TV is fully up.  Perhaps it was held a bit too long.  I have done that on ours and when next it came down there was a strain and a pop before it started down .
I believe also that there is a metal loop in the hinge corner over the driver.  This can be operated manually to raise and lower.

Welcome Robert Good luck with your new coach
Which floor plan is it?
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Mike Shumack

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 12:55:38 PM »
There is a troubleshooting manual for the drop-down TV mechanism in the Coach Assist section.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 01:01:31 PM »
Our problem was the TV would not lift.  The problem was intermittent leading me to believe it was a faulty toggle switch.  I removed the toggle switch and touched the wires together to operate the TV lift.  The TV lifted and descended properly several times.  I replaced the toggle switch with a new one (I think) found on Amazon or eBay.  The lift has worked flawlessly since.  One note: Ours is a 2004 Marquis so it predates those pesky Intellitec electronics.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Mike Humble

• BAC Member
  • BAC Past President 2014-2018
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 04:25:15 PM »
I picked this up on the forum one time.  I don't put the tv all the way up.  I leave it down about1/2".  You can then put it up and then down.  Seems to be heat related.  Since I started this practice have had no issues.
Mike
2008 Marquis 45' Cat C-15 600hp

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2020, 04:34:12 PM »
Your best bet is to give Lift TV a call and speak with on of their tech's 1-877-543-8698, Your manual crank down may be engaged, if it is the unit will not go up and down on electric. You can look up at the left side where the crank end is, if it is pushed in next to the case the unit will not work, get a hook and pull the crank end out.

Paul Champagne

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2020, 06:00:40 PM »
Well i have had the same problem in my 06 Thunder and it seems to be heat related .After a long drive in warm temps the TV won't come down till the interior of the Coach cools down sometimes hours or till the next morning and everything is back to normal.

There must be something in the solenoid the heat doesn't like. Not sure how to fix it?
2006 Patriot Thunder
C13 525 hp

Mike Shumack

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2020, 09:46:24 PM »
on the 2005 model year the TV Lift mechanism has an adjustment that controls how tight the TV lid closes. I found that if the adjustment if out a little it will not open again when the TV Lift button is pressed without some "wiggling" of the lid/TV. I had to readjust the limit switches a little to get the TV to open and close reliability.

The 2006 and up models have a different mechanism than the 2005 and older, but it may have the same problem from a limit switch being out of adjustment. I suggest you check the "close" limit switch. If that switch is out of adjustment and not getting fully depressed when the TV lid is closed, the TV controller may "think the TV is not closed" and therefore wont reverse direction to open the TV.
The following users thanked this post: Gene Obie

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2020, 10:29:56 PM »
Well i have had the same problem in my 06 Thunder and it seems to be heat related .After a long drive in warm temps the TV won't come down till the interior of the Coach cools down sometimes hours or till the next morning and everything is back to normal.

There must be something in the solenoid the heat doesn't like. Not sure how to fix it?

I've had the same problem in the heat, but it has not done it in the last couple of years, The tech at Lift TV said there is a thermal overload in the motor, but nothing related to air temp. Now watch as soon as it heat up around here mine will not work

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2020, 01:14:29 PM »
I always kept my TV open about 1" from the full closed position and never had an issue once you go up 1/2" the set will then come down over the years this worked for me. 
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13