Author Topic: Lost My Girard Awning Cup  (Read 10823 times)

Edward Buker

Lost My Girard Awning Cup
« on: July 04, 2011, 06:11:25 PM »
We were hitting some 50MPH gusty headwinds while in Wyoming. When adding that headwind to our ground speed, one of the Girard awning cups decided to leave the coach and has now become a prarie dog sun hat in Wyoming. I understand that there are now two styles, older with non removable cups and a new style where they can be replaced. I will most likely go with the new style if others have had a good experience.

I was wondering if anyone has done the replacement and what is involved. Is there any recalibration required, is the wiring plugable for ease of replacement or did you have to wire back to the control board, and does the new sensor get attached to an old mount or is it typically all new?

Later Ed
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 05:36:22 AM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »

Tom and Pam Brown

Re: Lost My Cup
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 08:09:42 PM »
I replaced mine and you now have to buy the cups and the sensor together.

Just wire it up (color coded wires) and reseal the unit.

I ordered mine directly from girard and it was about $115.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 04:47:14 AM »
Ed,
Tom is right about the simplicity of the anemometer sensor replacement. Just remove the screws that hold the sensor to the roof and lift the sensor. A length of wire will come up with the sensor, and if it has ever been replaced before you will see wire splices (butt connectors), if not cut the wires about a foot below the sensor (being careful not to let the wires fall back into the coach) and splice in the new sensor wires. Then reseal the roof to sensor area.

Gerald

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 08:19:03 AM »
Thanks to all..... I expected that it would be a simple job. There is a big pile of lap sealant to deal with before I get to the mounting plate, that is always fun.

Later Ed

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 12:44:24 PM »
Ed,

I used a wire wheel brush to remove most of the sealent of course being careful not to touch the roof.

Once I exposed the screws i simply removed the base out of the roof and the majority of the sealant came along.

Hope this helps!  In addition i did puchase a galvanized plant hanger and trimmed to cover the perimeter of the unit to protect against tree limb damage to save another replacement it has worked great.  I attached the cage with silicone.

Robert Mathis

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 02:52:43 PM »
Talk about a timely thread, I just noticed my wind cups are gone while in the Keys. I plan to go up top today and see how much damage was done so I can decide how to replace them. Right after I fix the sanicon  8)

Robert Mathis

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 05:20:04 PM »
Nothing is ever that easy. The entire shaft and all are gone, just the hollow plastic mount and the wires left. Do any of you have the model number to order from girard?

Edward Buker

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 06:20:50 PM »
I ordered a new assembly from Girard this last week and it was in the $145 range plus shipping, It is complete with a mounting plate and has a  removable cup assembly which can be purchased for $30. It is the style they sell now and is subject to change as the years go on and suppliers change. I have not gotten it yet but I believe it may be the only option available from them at the moment. All I told them was I had the unit with the black housing, I believe there is a white and black version used over the years. You will not need a PN to order.

Later Ed

Robert Mathis

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 03:26:56 PM »
Thanks. I called Alliance this morning and they had one for over $200. The parts department said carefree didn't make them any more and they only had one left.

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 04:03:49 PM »
Carefree doesn't support the anemometer any more, although you can likely use most anyone's.  Carefree, instead offers a vibration detection system.  I installed one and it seems to work well.  It's called a direct response upgrade kit and sells for about $380 from PPL.  The kit includes a new controller, which is required.  Not cheap, but no more concerns about broken cups.

Gil

Robert Mathis

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 04:45:58 PM »
Yep, I called Carefree this morning and that's what they told me. I am hoping I can use a Girard anemometer.

John Harris

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 04:59:08 PM »
I got my replacement complete assembly  from Beaver Coach Sales two years ago, and it was $95.00 and very easy to install. I am sure it is more by now.
1999 Monterey  30 ft. Trinidad 3126b<br />Toad = 1999 Jeep Wrangler 2 door hardtop

Dave Blystone

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 02:35:46 AM »
Girard came to my coach in Perry, and changed the complete unit for me for $75.00.  Maybe they have a special at the rallies.

Good luck.

Dave b
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 07:22:29 AM by 14 »

Robert Mathis

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 01:41:44 PM »
David, was that on a Carefree awning?

Dave Blystone

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 09:46:31 PM »
no it was a girard   dave