Author Topic: Generator just clicks will not start  (Read 3270 times)

Rick Penick

Generator just clicks will not start
« on: May 04, 2021, 05:19:25 PM »
I have 6300 lp generator tried starting just clicks. 1997 Monterey ....anyone know why it is doing this has 350 hours on it.

Thank you
Rick

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
Re: Generator just clicks will not start
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 07:22:24 PM »
Rick
The generator starts off the chassis batteries if the coach has been sitting those batteries may be dead.
Some of the older coaches did not have an Echo charger or any means to charge the chassis batteries except the engines alternator and the engines ECM has a small parasitic draw which over several weeks will kill the chassis batteries.
Try holding the boost button while trying to start the gen set and see what happens.

Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Jason Worman

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 08:12:32 PM »
Rick

I had the same problem, found out the control board was bad, replaced it and started right up. Got the control board from Dinosaur Electronic, costs me about 150.00

Jason Worman

Rick Penick

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 08:19:38 PM »
  Thanks Eric,

i think my battery charger must be bad i had a battery tender on the 12v batteries the 6v batteries are getting some amps from the solar panels. this whole battery deal is a total problem child. i installed new napa 31's and all new 6v as well rebuilt the battery tray with new slides and wired it all back but there is a isolater above the batteries ans i have no clue where to wire that back in. i heard i could put the key in the accs mode anade it will charge the batteries i just plugged all this in to see. so you are correct and i used the booster assuming in just turn key to right pushed booster and nothing no clue why it doesnt work.

thanks rick

Rick Penick

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 08:21:19 PM »
 thanks jason if the battery are low i will charge those first than try again.

rick

Rick Penick

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 08:22:42 PM »
  Eric,

How would i know i have this echo charger and what do i need to do to make it work if i do my coach is 1997 .?

Thanks
   Rick

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 10:48:53 PM »
Rick
If you have an Echo charger  it would look like this.

https://www.google.com/search?q=echo+charger&oq=echo+charger&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l4.6111j0j8&client=tablet-android-lenovo-rev2&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=imgv&imgv=0

I don't think you have an  Echo charger .
My coach is a 1997 Patriot Yorktown and it wasn't built with any type of battery combiner and I understand the 1998 models didn't have one either

Your inverter charger should be keeping the coach batteries charged as long as you are plugged in to shore power all the Echo
charger does is combine the chassis batteries with the coach batteries she there is a charge voltage present on either battery bank.

If you post some pictures of your battery arrangement and the separator you have mounted there we might give you some idea how it should be wired.

You can use the wiring diagrams for the 1996 Patriot in the coach assist section.

Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 11:05:59 PM »
You said you didn’t know where to wire the isolator back in;  if it’s not hooked up it may explain why your boost attempt didn’t work.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Rick Penick

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 11:12:54 PM »
 Eric,

I do not have anything like that. So if i have coach plugged in do i leave the key in the off position or hav it turned to the left in accs position?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks Rick

Rick Penick

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2021, 11:13:41 PM »
Joel,

Thank you that would make sense

Thanks Rick

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2021, 11:32:31 PM »
Rick I don't think the accessory position with help with the chassis batteries I'd just leave it in the off position

Before I installed a Magnum battery combiner on my coach I used to just hook a set of booster cable from one battery bank to the other to charge the chassis batteries while I'm hooked to shore power.

Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Rick Penick

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2021, 11:42:01 PM »
Eric,

Which battery combiner ? i searched amazon they have one that 12/24v i have 12v and 6v golf cart combined to two 12v. Wish i new more about solar as that would be the way to go not up on all that. i can jump the cables someone i think Roy told me about the accs position.

Thanks Rick

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2021, 11:58:43 PM »
Rick
Both the chassis battery bank and your coach battery bank are 12 volt  the coach batteries are wired with four six volt batteries two sets of six volt batteries in series netting 12 volts .
Therefore you are looking for a battery combiner which works on a 12 volt system.
I used the Magnum unit because it gave me the flexibility to adjust the cut in cut out voltages as well as control the boost solenoid so that the current would be carried by the high current solenoid.
Either one will work fine for you.

https://www.google.com/search?q=echo+charger&oq=echo+charger&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l4.6111j0j8&client=tablet-android-lenovo-rev2&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=imgv&imgv=0

https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/smart-battery-combiner

Hope this helps
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR

Rick Penick

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2021, 06:26:58 PM »
 Hey Eric,

On the magnum did you just buy the ME-SBC did you also buy the inside monitor setup? I charged my batteries and generator started right up no problem. So just need to addresss this battery issue.

Thanks
Rick

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2021, 06:49:55 PM »
Rick
The inside monitor goes with the Magnum inverter
The battery combiner by Magnum is a stand alone unit and does not talk to the monitor panel.

How ever I replaced my freedom inverter with a Magnum unit and the monitor panel and network automatic generator start system several years ago.

Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR