Author Topic: trans temp & engine temp guage, & engine temp guage in service center all dead  (Read 1695 times)

Lester Orlow

Bus sat for 7 years due to family obligations, I am trying to recommission it. Started with fuel guage, engine temp, and trans temp out,
after some fiddling the fuel guage started working, but still cannot find any wiring issues. The engine temp guage in the service bay doesn't work either. The Silver leaf lost its read out so I am flying blind as far as temps are concerned.  2001 Beaver contessa naples 
Thanks

Frank Bergamo

• BAC Member
Lester,

First thing I would do is make sure batteries are good. Then go from there. Hope this helps.
Frank & Paulette Bergamo
2019-       : 2007 Marquis Topaz IV  C-15 600 HP Allison 4000
2014-2019: 2002 Marquis Emerald C-12 505 HP Allison 4000
2004-2014: 1986 Executive Diplomat 3208 250 HP Allison MT-643
Grand Junction, CO.

Lester Orlow

Batteries are all new

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Lester,
You may be looking at 2 separate issues. The dash gauges get their info directly from the engine sensors. The Silverleaf is getting data from the engine ECU. I suspect the Silverleaf issue may be a faulty connection given how long the coach has set. Try disconnecting the Silverleaf connectors under the dash, apply a bit of contact cleaner and reconnect them.
If my memory serves me, there are 2 separate sensors for the temp and oil gauges. The temp sensors are very accessable at the top of the engine in cooling system elbow right under the bedroom hatch. Try removing and cleaning the connections first before considering any sensor replacement as again, i suspect this is a time issue.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Lester Orlow

Steve
   The Silverleaf lost the display before I put it away, they would not repair it , and they wanted $3,000 for a new model.  I understand that they now have a new system that you use with a laptop, but have not had time to look into it. I already had it at Cat and they said            " verified coolant temp sensor was operating properly, everything was plugged in, verified power to gauge, ran jumper wires from other known good gauge nothing moved temp gauge ,ran jumper wire from sensor to gauge and still nothing."
Thanks, Les

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
Lester
The wiring diagrams for your coach should be In the coach assist section that will help you through .
Steve is correct the Cat sensors for oil pressure and coolant temp only supply data to the cat ECM the Silver leaf contains it's data from the engine ECM via serial stream data connection to the silver leaf. they don't use those sensors for the dash gauges the dash gauges use a separate set of sending units which are usually mounted very close to the cat sensors however the Cat sensors have weather proof plugs and the gauge sender usually had stud terminals with ring terminals which are prone to corosion and bad connections.
Also the connections at the gauge's are known to develop bad or loose connections check the dash gauges grounds first.
The service bay gauges are also in a harsh environment as the rear side of the service board controls , switches and gauge wiring are all exposed to dirt and moisture which lends them to corrosion and bad connections.
You will likely find your coach has a tee with two oil pressure sending units one for the the dash gauge and one for the service bay gauge.

Hope this helps
Eric

1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Frank Bergamo

• BAC Member
Lester,

If you have power to gauges and nothing works, then I would check for a common grounding problem as Eric said. Under the dash there is a common ground block, with multiple ground circuits. Check to see if all are tight, then follow main ground wire, making sure it is tight and not corroded where it connects. Hope this helps.
Frank & Paulette Bergamo
2019-       : 2007 Marquis Topaz IV  C-15 600 HP Allison 4000
2014-2019: 2002 Marquis Emerald C-12 505 HP Allison 4000
2004-2014: 1986 Executive Diplomat 3208 250 HP Allison MT-643
Grand Junction, CO.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Lester,
Based on your reply, I agree with Eric & Frank. Gauge issue is probably due to dash problem. The connections on my 01 used brass nuts to hold the wires to the back of the gauges and I found over half of them were loose due to vibration, etc. The dash panel can be removed from the front to get easier access.
Steve
Steve

Lester Orlow

All gauges work except for the engine temp gauge and the trans temp gauge, have 12.8 volts power, and  8.4 volts to the S pole  one the gauge. All gauges light when I pull the light switch. Checked all the connections, and cleaned the sensor terminals, When I jumped the S connection to ground the gauge did not move. I guess the gauges are bad, does anyone where to get replacements?
Thanks, Les

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Lester,
I seem to remember the gauges in your coach are VDO gauges. Check the web and NAPA.
Steve
Steve