Author Topic: Odd Refrigeration Problem  (Read 3706 times)

Dick Simonis

Odd Refrigeration Problem
« on: September 02, 2011, 02:58:57 PM »
As we were getting ready to leave Mallard Creek in Lebanon, OR I was messing around with the refrigerator in anticipation of a couple of days of dry camping on the way to Idaho Falls and ran across and interesting little problem.  Attempting to change the mode from auto to gas it wouldn't work.....holding down the mode button put me in the diagnostic screen.  Trying to change temp did the same thing.  However, unplugging the AC shifted it to LP and plugging it back in shifted to AC so the auto mode was working OK.  Temps are still -5 in the freezer and 28 in the refrigerator so it's cooling just fine.

Yesterday we left Mallard Creek and decided to stop at Beaver Coach in Bend and have it looked at.  Great service department got me right in an found the problem was the control board with the buttons on it.  Loren ordered a new kit and is having it shipped next day from Portland and should have it installed today.  Oh well, a couple of night camping in their parking lot and we'll be on our way.  Of course Pat wants to go shopping at someplace on the river and that will probably be more costly than the repairs I figure.  Especially since our extended warranty is paying for the repair.

I am convinced that our Beaver is really a homing pigeon and just misses Beaver Coach....kind of automaticlly heads there if we're in the vicinity.

Richard And Babs Ames

Re: Odd Refrigeration Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 03:53:06 AM »
Hope your wife enjoys her shopping trip.

Don Hircock

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 04:27:20 AM »
What brand and model of refer is it that you have?  If I ever obtained the temperatures you are talking about I'd do back flips....

Dick Simonis

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 02:39:01 PM »
The fridge is a norcold 1200 RIM.  Repairs are now complete and we're getting ready to leave the "Beaver RV Resort".  They installed an upgrade kit which included a new main control board and the touch panel board on the front.  Nice thing is that I now have the temp setting display instead of the LED bars.  Right now with the temp set on "6" the freezer is +4F and the fridge is 33F so I reckon all is well.  I have it running on Propane right now instead of AC as we only have 30 A power and the propane is a bit more effective.

Part of the upgrade was to change the themistor clipped to the cooling fins.  I seem to recall that moving it up or down affects the relationship between freezer and  fridge temps but I can not recall which direction does what.