Author Topic: what pumps hot water  (Read 1549 times)

Rick Daniels

• BAC Member
what pumps hot water
« on: November 11, 2022, 12:17:17 AM »
Got delayed leaving Montana and am now having to run off the hurricane heater and on board water.  Over night I lost hot water.  Checked everything for possible frozen pipes (got below 0) last night and found no evidence of frozen pipes.  In fact the bay which has the hurricane and seaward hot water heater is very warm.  The storage bays are also very warm and the water bay is also very warm.  Seems the hurricane plus one space heater down below is doing a great job.  I have cold water at every faucet but no hot at any faucet.  In the bay with the hurricane there are two pumps.  One, I am certain, pumps the fluid through the several hydronic heaters.  What is the other pump for.  I am not hooked up to city water. 
1999 Beaver Marquis Jasper 40' Cat C-12
2020 Chev 1500 High Country
Three Forks, Montana
"Where the Missouri River Begins"

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: what pumps hot water
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2022, 01:49:04 AM »
   The 2 pumps you are referring to are coolant circulation pumps. One is for the heat exchangers inside the living area and the other may be the engine. The coach water pump is responsible for hot and cold water distribution. The electric side of your Seaward water heater is controlled by a 20 amp circuit breaker in the closet. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Rick Daniels

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2022, 02:28:55 AM »
Thanks again Fred.  I have great cold water flow so that means my pump is working.  I have no hot water flow at all at any faucet.
Three Forks, Montana

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2022, 04:23:50 AM »
   Rick, I think there is a check valve on the output side of the water heater. If the check valve was stuck closed, there would be no water flow at any fixture. I am not sure if your coach has a water distribution system manifold in the water bay. There may be a valve for hot water distribution? I can't remember. I would start there and work my way back thru the system to find the restriction. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Rick Daniels

Rick Daniels

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2022, 07:08:34 PM »
problem solved.  FYI the incoming cold water line going into the hurricane bay and the outgoing hot water line going out of the hurriane bay actually go outside the heated portion of the basement bays and are only insulated with a foam wrap. About two feet of vulnerable water lines (in and out) are totally exposed to the elements.  Last night was -13 degrees and needless to say, not sufficient insulation to keep from freezing.  I thawed the line with a torpedo heater and now have heat lamps mounted to give it warmth.  To my surprise the hurricane bay backs up to open area that houses the propane tank and generator and have no source of heat.  Good thing I have a Daughter half my age that could slide under the coach and discover the exposed lines and place the heat lamp. Now I can have a hot shower.
Three Forks, Montana

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2022, 09:49:59 PM »
  Rick, Glad you found the issue, Enjoy!  Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper