Author Topic: 2006 Monterey Laguna 4 Front Leveler Rod  (Read 1812 times)

Mark Hoovler

• BAC Member
2006 Monterey Laguna 4 Front Leveler Rod
« on: August 22, 2023, 12:21:08 AM »
Front air leveler rod, rubber connection to the axel has finally rotted out.  Where can a guy find a new one if possible? 
Thanks for any info.
Mark Hoovler
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 04:17:16 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
2006 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 hp
2020 F-150

Frank Bergamo

• BAC Member
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 12:37:31 AM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
Frank & Paulette Bergamo
2019-       : 2007 Marquis Topaz IV  C-15 600 HP Allison 4000
2014-2019: 2002 Marquis Emerald C-12 505 HP Allison 4000
2004-2014: 1986 Executive Diplomat 3208 250 HP Allison MT-643
Grand Junction, CO.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: 2006 Monterey Laguna 4 Front Leveler Rod
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2023, 12:38:41 AM »
Frank has you on the right track.  The device is called a "ride height control valve".  In later model coaches, there are three of them - two near the rear axle and one near the front axle.  If one's rubber linkage has gone bad, then you may as well replace the linkage parts on all three.  Good luck.

If you do a search using the argument "ride height control", then you will have many threads to read.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 04:18:35 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Mark Hoovler

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2023, 12:51:14 AM »
 :)Thanks guys got it ordered and on the way.  The correct terminology certainly helps.

Mark
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 04:19:04 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
2006 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 hp
2020 F-150

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2023, 01:48:11 AM »
You should carry a spare as this is a common issue as coaches age;  it’s just rubber and they crack and fail.  My front one failed once after long storage, just as we were pulling away from our home curb for a 6-month trip.  It’s not actually the “valve”, but rather part of a means of joining the valve to the axle for measuring the height, and giving it adjustability.  For future reference, NAPA can be a good local source if you’re in a hurry, but sometimes they have to order them in from their warehouse if the store is out.  HALDEX RN10JC.  https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MBIRN10JC

The topic can’t be discussed without offered caution, however.  It sounds like you’ve already been under there, but please use adequate blocking to protect yourself.  In order to get under the coach with working room, you likely will need to have it aired up, to the extent the broken linkage will allow.  But especially when messing around with the air height mechanisms, logic dictates that there is certainty against the rig collapsing on you.

As an addendum, get yourself a spare ignition solenoid, as it’s also a common failure point, and a spare can keep you from being stuck immobilized or without all 12v chassis functions in an RV park, fuel stop, or somewhere else that’s less than convenient.  Cole-Hersee 24059BP.

Joel

Sorry, my pix got loaded out of logical order…

« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 04:19:23 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Frank Bergamo

Mark Hoovler

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2023, 03:31:50 PM »
Joel, Thanks much for the info.  I have been down there a few times, and it can be scary.  The best solution I came upo with is a set of ramps to drive the front up on and then there is plenty of room and the rig will not fall on me when the air goes down. 
I have another question.

Have you removed the safety or sales solenoid on your rig?  I had issues with ours blowing the 5 amp fuse and not resetting, so I bypassed the solenoid for now. 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 04:19:41 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
2006 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 hp
2020 F-150

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2023, 05:13:05 PM »
Mark
Personally my salesman switch is still working but I seldom use it. If it were to crap out I would likely just by pass it.
Many owners bypass them to avoid inadvertently turning off the coach power , this is particularly true for people with small children who love to play with switches especially at their height.

The only real use for the salesman switch is to kill all the power to the 12 volt accessories for storage purposes but most coaches have main battery disconnects for that anyway.

Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2023, 11:19:47 PM »
When our coach wasn’t very old, Mark, we were leaving BCS one evening after days of service and the shop was closing.  I noticed some glitch and ran back inside to tell our advisor, Ken Carpenter.  Actually, I think he was still warranty rep at the time.  He grabbed two techs and they tracked down the culprit… the salesman’s switch solenoid.  One thing about Ken, he knew his stuff, which was more than I understood at the time (and mostly still don’t).  It was after hours, and the techs I think we’re inclined to bypass the solenoid or replace a fuse, I can’t recall details, but he had them replace the whole shebang altogether, no charge.  Before we left and they got to head home, Ken in no uncertain terms told us to leave that darned switch alone… leave it on.  Yes Sir, you got it! :)   Like all who knew him, we surely do miss Ken… his help, his knowledge, his witty banter.

For newbies that “salesman’s switch” seems like an easy way to shut things off and save batteries, and it is… if you’re a dealer maybe.  But it doesn’t shut everything off, isn’t meant for long term storage circumstances, and as noted here, its overuse can cause issues.  It seems nice to simply flip the switch on the way out the door, but to truly save battery power take the extra minute or two to open the battery bay and shut off the Mains instead.

The switch itself oft goes bad, not intended for continuous use after the sale;  but the solenoid also can be an issue that many here solve by jumping around it.  Ditto with the switch I guess, but it’s harder to get at its connections than the solenoid’s.  We’ve tried, for the last 16 years to leave the switch alone/on, but as Eric points out, kids and curious adult visitors may mess with tempting doorside buttons.  It can be taped in the ON position or a “do not touch” label applied, but so far it’s been no big deal, and the replacement solenoid has been fine.

Your current solution should do the trick, but it would be nice to know why the fuse wouldn’t hold… something was drawing current.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2023, 12:49:54 AM »
After my wife turned the salesman switch off one to many time, shutting off the AC units, and making me reset the hotspot and many other things I decided on a semi permanent fix.

I put a rabbit in a block of walnut that matched the coach and covered the switch with it.  The wood physically does not touch the switch, but blocks access to it.  It is screwed in place with small screws and can be removed if ever needed. I made sure I knew where the wires ran before I screwed it on.

My wife hasn't been able to turn off everything since then,( because she hit the wrong switch). 
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2023, 01:22:34 AM »
Great idea, Carl.  I may do something similar, but maybe velcro or engineer some other fastening means that can be easily, mark-free removed should a resale dealer prefer it.  After some negative experiences with fastening methods that are regretted, I’m reluctant these days to make holes in the Coach decor if I can avoid it.  But your fix is likely quite minimalist.

Yeah, when those switches are all together in a row along the entry steps, it’s all too easy to hit the wrong one when fumbling for another, often in the dark.  We’ve yet to put our sequence to memory.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Mark Hoovler

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2023, 06:26:29 PM »
So it does happen to everyone.  Thanks for all the good input and discussion.  I think we are doing the permanent by-pass and never have to worry about getting the switch to rest.

Happy Trails to all and Beaver On!
Mark ann Barb
2006 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 hp
2020 F-150