Author Topic: C-13 starting issue  (Read 7944 times)

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
C-13 starting issue
« on: October 26, 2011, 10:03:22 PM »
C13 starting issue: On a cold engine, the turnover seems to hang.  My Battery is good. The stall is momentary, then everything kicks in.  I was in Bend last year, and did mention this to Ken in Service, and he indicated that they had seen this stall/hang time in other rigs, but he never told me what or how to correct the problem.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 12:04:17 AM by 14 »
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
Re: C-13 starting issue
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 03:24:16 PM »
Has anyone had a cold start issue with the C13?
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 04:37:52 PM »
I have not Jerry,  I have noticed in cold weather, it sometimes sounds different when starting, so I have started leaving the engine preheat on with the aqua hot during the night, to help it stay warmer. That seems to help it crank better, but I have never had it hang up while starting.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 12:34:06 AM by 14 »
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 09:27:46 PM »
Hi Larry, that is not the issue with my C13.  I keep the rig in a heated storage area.  It just seem like the battery is lacking the power to turn over the engine, but after a momentary hang, the engine then turns over fine. It only hangs on the first start up.  If I hit the batt boost, this will also correct the problem. The strange thing is, the batt looks good on the Aladdin.  I also had Beaver Bend look at the batteries, and they are OK.
Ken, in service, had told me that this was a problem, and I think he also indicated, that he knew the cause.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 12:32:30 AM by 14 »
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Bill Sprague

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 12:32:51 AM »
Have Ken put in a Cummins.  (grin)

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 01:00:32 AM »
Ha but maybe its got some liter in it!
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Bernie Vujicic

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 03:05:36 AM »
Jerry,

Mine had a lag or delay when starting occasionally, until I gave all the relays time to catch up. I just turn the key halfway for 3 or 4 seconds, until I hear everything kick in, and turn the key the rest of the way, and never had the problem again.  I don't know if this is what's going on with yours, but mine has never done it again, when I do this.
Let me know.

Thanks,
bv
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 03:40:11 AM by 14 »

Dick Simonis

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 03:36:20 PM »
I don't know if it's pertinent or not, but when we bought our Beaver, I was told to always use the paralleling switch when starting as the initial load to get the starter turning is enormous.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 03:56:21 PM »
I think the paralleling switch is the same as the boost switch which will bring the house batt's on line with the chassie battery, your correct that this is enough to prevent the hang on the cold start. I will need to ask Ken at the service center what they did to correct the problem I am sure it's a common C13 issue.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Jeff Watt

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 04:31:11 PM »
I haven't noticed any problem yet however the coldest I have had to start it has been around -3C (+26/27).

All I do (and i expect what everyone is doing) is turn ignition key on and wait until the check engine light is out, then start.

Ron Langdon

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 05:07:56 AM »
I've not had the problem in my coach either. I do use the pre-heat when starting on cold mornings.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 04:04:06 PM »
Ron, I also use the pre heater while we travel, that is not the issue with my C13.  I keep the rig in a heated storage area and it still hangs on the first start up. I keep the heat at 55 in the stroage area.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Gerald Farris

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 07:24:11 PM »
Jerry,
From your description, it sounds like the "hang time" that you are concerned about is related to insufficient current to the starter. This problem can be caused by three different things. First is that the starting batteries do not have a high enough CCA (cold cranking amps). This can be from a weakened battery or from an undersized battery for the application. The next reason is undersized battery cables that cause the voltage to drop to low at the starter on engagement. The last and least likely reason is the condition of the starter itself. If the starter bushings are worn enough the starter armature can drag slightly on the field shoes and require more amperage to operate.

Gerald

Edward Buker

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 05:58:05 AM »
This is all about the current that is being delivered. I would add one more item to Gerald's note and that is that the crimps and connectors on the cable ends at the battery, battery switch if you have one, the starter, and the ground lugs. They all need to be well crimped, corrosion free, and tight. One simple modification provides a more robust current path for the ground leg of the circuit. It can only help by reducing the total wiring path resistance. Using the same size cable as the current ground wire, purchase a suitable length cable with lugs on each end and connect the house and starting battery ground legs together. This is most effective if you connect the house and chassis battery ground terminals together that have the large cables that lead off to the chassis frame etc.

I have replaced my starting batteries with higher CCA versions than the ones that were on the coach when I bought it. They  were an off brand that failed to start the coach after just two years, I would not be surprised if your batteries were showing signs of not being up to the task due to sulfate build up reducing the effective plate area.

Later Ed