Author Topic: Front End Porpoising  (Read 4675 times)

Dennis Crawford

Front End Porpoising
« on: November 11, 2011, 01:29:07 PM »
All,

I have an 05 Monterey 38 foot Huntington IV.  I don't use it enough to tell if this problem is getting worse.  Normal road bumps do not pose a problem, but a dip (going on or off a bridge" at highway speeds creates a bounce.  It recovers pretty quick, but I am still concerned.  Will new shocks help this problem?  If so, has anyone found any that work?

Dennis

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
Re: Front End Porpoising
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 04:04:19 PM »
We removed the gas Bilstein shocks and replaced with Koni hydrolic shocks. All before Alaska last year and we are so glad we did.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Joel Weiss

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 08:53:12 PM »
We installed the Motion Control Units sold by Henderson in Oregon and are very pleased with the results.  I started a thread on this several months ago.  We have found that both high speed and low speed handling have been significantly improved.  We bought them to correct the "Walmart wallow" and were pleasantly surprised when we discovered they also limited the high speed porpoising you describe.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 09:46:09 PM »
Dennis,
The question about when to change shocks and what the replacement should be is very subjective. Some people expect new shocks to make the coach ride there are no bumps in the road. This is of course an imposable accomplishment.

You say that your coach recovers quickly from a large bump, so the question is how much more rebound control do you want? If your shocks are to stiff (very high rebound control), your ride will be harder (more abrupt) when you hit a large bump, although there will be no porpoising after the bump. So you will need to decide what you are trying to accomplish with your coach. Koni shocks are firmer than Bilstein shocks so if you want more rebound control, they are a better choice, although they are more expensive.

You should check your shocks for condition. If one is leaking oil at the shaft seal, it is bad and should be replaced. The same thing applies if one has broken or damaged mounts. However is none of your shocks are leaking or broken, and you replace them with the same shocks that you now have, you will probably be wasting your money, because you will not be able to tell a difference in the ride.

My 2000 Marquis (11 years old with 112,000 miles) still has the original Bilstein shocks and I have no plans to change them because they are still performing very adequately. So what I am saying is that shock replacement has to be the owner's call, according to the condition of his shocks and the ride that he wants.

Gerald