Author Topic: purging air storage tanks  (Read 4727 times)

Bill Stireman

purging air storage tanks
« on: December 09, 2011, 02:52:38 PM »
Should I have the engine running when I purge my air storage tanks of moisture?

Bill Stireman
'04 Beaver Monterey
400 C-9 Cat

Bob Adams

Re: purging air storage tanks
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 03:04:33 PM »
Not necessary. All you're trying to do is blow out any moisture and there shouldn't be much, if any. If you do have a lot then it's probably time for a cartridge change on your air dryer.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 01:08:52 AM »
There are several models of Beaver coaches that were not equipped with an air dryer from the factory. If you have one of those coaches, you should expect some water when bleeding the tanks, and the only thing that you can do is to bleed the tanks often or add an air dryer.

The coaches that were not equipped with an air dryer are the early model Monterey coaches and the Patriots in the mid nineties. These coaches did not come with air healed, so the engineers did not think an air dryer was necessoary.

Gerald

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 10:12:23 PM »
Our 1997 Patriot has an air dryer. Think it was OEM

Bill Stireman

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 12:24:18 PM »
Our '04 Monterey has an air dryer.  The manual says that the tanks should be purged monthly to check for moisture.  It also says to continue to purge for a minute or two after the air is let out, so I was wondering if they meant to leave the engine running to continue to pump air through the tank.  That is what generated my first question.

Bill Stireman
'04 Beaver Monterey
400 hp Cat C-9

Ken Buck

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 03:28:40 PM »
Back in the days before air dryers, truckers that used their rigs everyday would purge the tanks every day. Open the valve until all visible water was gone, then close them. You weren't letting out enough air to drain the tank and the next time you started the engine it built right back up, so no problem. Once a month, or every two weeks in freezing weather, at the end of the day you'd open the petcock and let everything drain out to zero. Sometimes we'd even try to park so the tanks had the petcocks downhill so they'd drain everything.

And every so often we'd pour gas tank anti-freeze into the trailer gladhands to help absorb and expel the moisture that was in there. Occasionally someone would get enough moisture at just the right time to freeze up the air compressor governor. And if it froze shut you'd get no air into your tanks and would slowly run out until your spring brakes came on and you were stuck sitting wherever you were. Then, sitting for 20 minutes would thaw out the governor since the engine was hot, and everything would work fine until just the right conditions came by again. Or until you replaced the governor and blew out the system. Ah the good old days before everything was automatic and foolproof.