Author Topic: Running the rooftop ac's  (Read 2121 times)

Jason Worman

Running the rooftop ac's
« on: June 18, 2020, 10:59:38 PM »
Hi All,

I was wondering if it is good to run the rooftop ac's once a month or so, like exercising the generator. Not hot by any means here at the Oregon Coast, have not used since last summer. Cleaned them out. Thank you

Jason Worman

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
Re: Running the rooftop ac's
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 01:09:06 AM »
In the warmer months I use the A/C's to help put a load on the Generator.  So Start the Generator, Turn on both A/C's to their lowest settings.  Turn on some lights the TV's Hot water heater and let them all go for an hour.  Not much of an option in the colder months, but I use a couple of space heaters then.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 02:15:13 PM »
Jason,
In my opinion, it is not necessary to exercise your roof top A/C units, but like Carl said, if you are exercising your generator to prevent moisture build-up and corrosion in the windings (a problem that does not exist in the A/C units), they are a good way to put a load on the generator.

Gerald

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 05:54:22 PM »
Gerald is surely right.   That said, I try to run everything with moving parts on a regular basis. 

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 01:02:08 AM »
My 'running' years are passed. I'll be more likely to take a brisk walk.

(couldn't resist!)
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Bill Sprague

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 04:08:30 PM »
Not me!  Now that we have a sportier rig we are "running" right by the big rigs at the four wheeler speed limit plus a couple.  None of that walking down the road stuff for us!