Author Topic: Slideout lock mechanism  (Read 11454 times)

Paul Schwalen

Slideout lock mechanism
« on: September 17, 2009, 11:57:27 AM »
We have a 2003 Contessa and the large street side slideout lock seems to be manfunctioning.  I am referring to the mechanisms that are attached to the outside vertical side walls in  black plastic keepers. As the slide is retracted the mechanism projects a stainless hook that prevents the slideout from moving out when traveling.  The lock on the forward wall is acting funny and I don't see how to remove the plastic cover to see what is wrong.  Does anyone have any experience with this?

Jim Shaw

Re: Slideout lock mechanism
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 12:47:56 PM »
Paul, I had the same problem on my 2003 Monterey. There is one screw at the top of the unit on the outside. Remove the screw and then push up on the unit from the bottom. The unit is keyholed so after you push up the complete unit will come off. You can then remove several screws from the under side and the cover slides off. The problem is most likely the three springs inside that retracts the lock when the slide is open. I was able to obtain new springs from Power Gear for mine. I hope this helps.
Jim Shaw

Paul Schwalen

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 01:25:42 PM »
Thanks alot Jim.  I will remove and check it this morning.  :)

Paul Schwalen

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 05:39:26 PM »
Well, I was able to remove the mechanism as Jim told me however I don't seem to be able to find the springs.  I am at Lazy Days in Seffner and their parts people tell me that the manuf. of the part (Dewald manuf) has been bought by Lippert who says the parts are no longer available.  I can't find anything at Power Gear that shows parts like these. Does anyone have any suggestions where I can get these 3 springs? (If I find them I will replace the three on the aft end of the slideout as well)

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 05:56:29 PM »
You might try a good Parts house like NAPA  and they may be able to match the springs if they are not custom. That or the BP truck stop shop accross the street. My cousin has a parts house here in Arcadia and stocks an assortment of springs. Hopefully you can match them.

Jim Shaw

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 08:05:18 PM »
Paul. The springs that I replaced were 9 inches long and very small in diameter. I purchased them from Power Gear/Kwikee
in Mishawaka, IN. the telephone number was 574-254-5265. The item number was DN13052 and were 4.56 each plus shipping when I received mine. I just found my invoice, hope this will help you.
Jim

Jim Shaw

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 08:23:58 PM »
Paul if you find the springs, let me know as I would like to get some extra sets for future use. If you cannor fine them another thought is to find a spring specialty store and try to match them up.
Jim shaw

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 08:28:32 PM »
http://www.generalwirespring.com/default.asp This is an example of where you can find various springs. They may direct you to a dealer to get them.

Paul Schwalen

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 08:37:32 PM »
Thanks to Jim and Richard for the info.  I have reassembled the unit without the springs and I believe it will lock the slideout w/o the springs but will not retract into its sleeve without them. (This I can do manually if necessary) We will be home on Sunday and I will  be able to measure the diameter of the spring wire and then make a search on the net for the correct ones.  I will post the results when I order them and again when I receive/install them. :)

Jim Shaw

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 09:17:17 PM »
Paul, you are correct that you can operate it manually, but besure you retract it before closint the slide or you will tear the seal and posible do other damage. You can guess I speak from experence. I now have a sign with large RED letters posted by the slide swith to remind me to check before closing the slide. I check from outside while the wife closes the slide.
Jim

Paul Schwalen

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 11:10:32 PM »
Thanks for the advice Jim. I will be careful and look carefully to be sure the mechanism is retracted before bringing the slide in to protect the seals, etc.

By the way did the springs you ordered work correctly?

Jim Shaw

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 11:55:52 PM »
Yes, the springs worked perfect, they were an exact replacement. My only problem now is that when my forward one broke the repair facality could not get a new unit and said it could not be fixed so stripped the insides out of it and sold me a adjustable bar to lock it in. Then the other one broke so I took it apart, did some research, found the springs and fixed it myself. As I have found out if you want it repaired correctly, do it yourself. It's a lot cheaper and a lot of times it's a better repair. I am still looking for the parts they removed and when we go back to AZ for the winter plan to have a long discussion with the repair facility.
Jim