Author Topic: Analog Digital Converter Box  (Read 7381 times)

Norm Green

• BAC Member
Analog Digital Converter Box
« on: January 23, 2013, 05:03:04 AM »
I have the drop down flat screen LCD TV in my '06 Thunder, Sharp model LC-37G4U, in the living area.  In the bedroom, I recently replaced the original Sony CRT with a new LED TV.  I found that with the new TV in the bedroom, I am able to get good reception with local channels over the air using the bat-wing antenna, in the down position.  I am not able to get any similar reception with the Sharp TV.  I was told that to obtain these same channels over the drop down TV I would have to get a analog/digital conversion box.  I have tried to research this and have not been able to confirm if the existing Sharp is set up from the factory to receive digital signals.  Has anyone found that they have needed this conversion box or have you found a way to get over the air channels with the TV as is?  Would I be better off upgrading the drop down set with a new smart TV?  
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN
2018 Entegra Cornerstone 45W
Previous, four different Beaver coaches

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Analog Digital Converter Box
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 11:25:14 AM »
Norm-

I'll have to go out to the coach to confirm my model number, but our LCD is a 2006 build like yours, and that Sharp number sounds familiar, though ours is a 32", not a 37".

I had to hook in a converter box in 2007 or 2008, since our TVs do not have a built-in digital tuner (ATSC) like most built only shortly after '06.  As I recall this summer in Canada I didn't need to turn the converter on;  I presume they must still broadcast a lot of analog (NTSC) format.  Unlike yours, the Sony in our bedroom is an LCD, not a CRT.

Regardless, I'd like to one day replace one or both units with 120Hz multi-tuner TVs;  the 60Hz refresh rate is like watching action scenes or facial close-ups through a fish bowl, and the converter boxes are an inconvenience and another heat source in a tight enclosure.  A more contemporary 1080i/p HD resolution would be nice too;  720p is just not up to snuff for today's movies and HD content.

Joel

ps .  Like ours, your TV has only an analog tuner, NTSC. Note the specs, "Video Standards" here: http://www.webmall2000.net/home/37hv4u.asp
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 11:38:46 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Norm Green

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 01:30:59 AM »
Thanks Joel.  I agree, I think the best route is a new HD LED unit with HDMI connections.  Less weight, less heat and fewer devices in the cabinet.
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN
2018 Entegra Cornerstone 45W
Previous, four different Beaver coaches

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 07:58:14 AM »
If your TV is indeed just a larger version of mine, Norm, you do have an HDMI port along the back, although yours may be on a separate "AVC" box.  Newer TVs of course don't have the side speakers, so you should be able to bump up to at least a 40", depending on how your drop-down setup is configured.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat