Author Topic: Installed a closet system  (Read 11024 times)

Joel Weiss

Installed a closet system
« on: January 31, 2013, 06:11:47 PM »
After full-timing for two years we decided that hanging clothes in a closet is an inefficient way of using storage space.  Furthermore, we don't own that many clothes that really need to hang (my jeans won't mind if they are folded  ;D)  So we removed the lower bar in our closet and installed drawer stacks purchased from The Container Store.  I'm sure you can find other brands that will do the same thing, but, as you can see, these were sized so hardly any space was wasted.  

The drawer stacks are anchored to the closet frame and floor.  A 3/4" board was needed to support the rear legs of the stack.  When we travel I plan to use Velcro strap to tie pieces of PVC pipe, the same height as the drawer stack, to the closet center post.  The pipes will prevent the drawers from sliding forward into the glass doors in the event of a fast stop.

The net result is that we have more stuff in the closet organized so we can actually see what we own.  Installation was ~2 hours start to finish.

John Hennessey

• BAC Member
Re: Installed a closet system
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 09:16:46 PM »
NICE JOB!!! Looks real efficient!
John & Linda Hennessey
2023-Thor Omni Class C
2011-2023 - 2003 Marquis

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 01:17:24 AM »
Joel,
We took a different approach to adding drawer space. Our coach came with a combo washer / dryer. But, we found that we preferred doing wash at an RV park where we could do multiple loads at the same time. I found a Patriot owner who had a bank of drawers and wanted a washer/drier. We did an even trade and we've been very satisfied ever since.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

barbhalsell

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 03:09:19 AM »
Love that closet redo. I have plastic drawers along the floor but I think your idea is much better Joel.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 03:21:17 AM »
Quote from: barbhalsell
Love that closet redo. I have plastic drawers along the floor but I think your idea is much better Joel.

I have to be honest and admit that my DW came up with the idea and identified the drawers that fit.  I'll pas along your comliments.

Nina Campfield

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 11:05:46 PM »
I'm going the opposite way -- I want hanging space!  (I did put in a set of drawers under the electric panel, and it is great.)  The closet rod is so low that my husband's shirts drag on the floor,  I have to drape sundresses over a hangar, and can't take advantage of hangar systems.  In addition, the rod sags in the middle from the weight, which makes the space even less effective.   Does anyone have experience raising the closet rod, or putting in a wire shelf with rod?  

I'd appreciate any suggestions!

Nina Campfield
2003 Monterey Newport

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 02:45:52 AM »
Nina-

The long rod in our rear cap wardrobe closet was bending under the load of a 6 month trip's worth of clothes.  I was concerned it might give in under the stress if I hit a shock absorber-traumatizing bump on the road.  While camped near Hamilton, MT, a town well endowed with stores a guy could get lost in, among other coach-maintenance/upgrade items I got a 2X2 and cut it long enough to reach from the closet floor to just beyond the rod.  With my handy dandy portable saw and pocket knife, I hewed a notch in one end that the rod seats into, so it comes up fairly level from one wall to the other.  The shear weight of clothes holds the 2X2 in place and the load is transferred to the floor.  The brace takes up less than 2 inches of hanger space on the rod, and clothing drapeing below simply falls in around it.

I'm not sure if any of that helps in your situation, and not being familiar with your layout it is hard to visualize what you are exactly up against.  The coaches I've seen all had at least a high rod from wall to wall in the main wardrobe.  I would assume you should be able to simply remount the existing rod holders higher on the walls.  Then add a central support pole as I did.  The center braces that extend from the middle of some closets' back walls and grab the rod are not trustworthy in my experience;  they still allow sag, although they don't use the space in the middle that a pole does.  To me the pole is a minor inconvenience when sorting through clothes, well worth it for the assurance it provides in solidly supporting the center section of rod.

As an aside, one of the other things I got at Hamilton's extensive hardware store was a wooden dowel, 1 inch diameter I think, long enough to extend diagonally across the top of our shower.  By notching it in the right places and at the right angles, it sits over the shower's top frame members and the notches (handy dandy saw and knife again) keep it pretty much in place, though I usually remove it when we are hitting the road.  It stores quite neatly standing on end in one of the crannies alongside the shower, but it could have a hole drilled in one end to hang it up somewhere too.  The point to this was to provide a place to hang wet clothes, coming from outside or from the washer.  It works well, and could be used for certain other regularly used garments when the closet is full;  but then has to be unloaded to take a shower.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 11:17:39 AM »
Put a smaller pipe than the inside diameter down the full length of the  chrome closet rod. Keeps the rod from bending.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Mary Collins

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 03:56:33 AM »
Nina,

In our 2003 Patriot Thunder we had the same problem. We had Jim Sizemore, of RV Outfitters in Bend OR, raise the shelf with the accompanying rod and provide a middle support. We could then hang long things and still have shoes on the floor and hats above.
Hope this helps.

Mary
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 02:39:48 PM by 5 »
Mike and Mary Collins<br />02 Marquis Amethyst<br />

Nina Campfield

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 01:40:28 AM »
Thanks all for the suggestions.  I think our closet may not be as tall as the Patriot Thunder (looking at Joel Weiss' picture).  I will look into having the shelf/rod modified.  I've been using the edge of the facing to hang clothes in the shower -- I love the dowell idea!

Nina

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 02:23:20 AM »
Put a smaller pipe than the inside diameter down the full length of the  chrome closet rod. Keeps the rod from bending.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9