Author Topic: Air leak  (Read 4879 times)

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Air leak
« on: May 15, 2013, 01:05:11 PM »
I am tryng to isolate an air leak.  I loose about 30 pounds over two hours and almost all the air over night.

I have covered most of the air lines around the two tanks using soap and water, no leaks at all.  

Are there areas more likely than others?  Any suggestions?  If I find a leaking fitting or God forbid a pin hole what then?

Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Tom and Pam Brown

Re: Air leak
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 01:22:08 PM »
Keith,

Mine leaks from the cylinder on the close out for the steps.

Pain to get to and I have not tackled that job, yet.

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 01:45:45 PM »
Our 1997 Patariot had a push in type manifold in front of the front axle that had one air in and four air out hoses. It started leaking on a trip to NC and the front suspension would bottom out.

Does your supension air bags deflate when the air leaks out? If either the front or rear deflates I would check those and the ride height valves. If the air supension does not deflate some have mentioned a pressure relief valve on the  engine mounted air compressor.

If you are in a very quiet spot. Air up at night (when sound travels better) and walk arroud and under the coach and you may hear it.

Gerald Burns

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 02:43:22 PM »
You might also check your drain valve at the bottom of your air tank.  I hunted for several weeks and then some one told me to be sure that was tight and it moved less than an 1/8 of a turn and the leak stopped.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 10:06:58 PM »
Gerald Burns brings to mind the idea that your quick connect port, if you have one, might have a particle interfering with its closure/seal, or as he suggests, a purge port might be slightly skewed.  Our coach has a "manifold" of 4 purge ports and a quick connect altogether in the battery bay, but many are located up front near the genset.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Arden Smith

• BAC Member
  • 98 Monterey 36\' 300 Cat 3126
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 05:27:26 PM »
 What I found on mine was the valves that control the ride height were composite bodied valves which were cracked and leaking air. Might want to check around those.
Good luck
Arden
Arden Smith
98 Monterey 36' 3126 300 CAT

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 12:12:19 PM »
Under the hood just below the passanger side windshield are a couple of connections.  One is a manifold and goes partly to the floor slide panel.  The other is an electronicaly controled module with one air in and one out.  This unit is i/2 plastic electronic switch and 1/2 brass air fitting.
I have no idea what it does but the joint where plastic meets brass is leaking a fair amount.  Guess I get to call Larry in BCS parts.

Hope this helps someone else
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!