Author Topic: Girard Awning  (Read 7893 times)

David Fischer

Girard Awning
« on: May 22, 2013, 06:47:58 PM »
A long story which is necessary. About four years ago in a  calm day in SC a few gusts came along and with my full awning out, one of the gusts broke all three of the brackets holding the awning to the coach.   Needless to say since the awning was out all the way it caused me some hardship to get it back in place..  My coach is a 1997 and have had  it since new and the awning material was worn so bad that you could see through it.  

But after discussion with an insurance agent I  made the decision to go to Alliance to have new awning put on.. It was shipped to Alliance in Florida, and put on along with much repaint work on the side.  After leaving Alliance everything was fine until I got back to SC and the arm broke at the elbow on the arm just over the door. Andre at Girard do agree to send me a new arm for shipping costs.  I had it put on by an RV dealer in SC.  It held up  until last summer when it again broke at the elbow and collapsed.  This time Andre would not cover any costs "because that shouldn't happen and it is not their fault." I still love the comment he made after the first break.  "You are not operating it correctly"  I told him that I have been pushing the same button for 15 years.

The final count now is four front arms including the original plus two replacements and now this one.  That is four total since 6/14/2011.  All were put in by "RV repair shops.   All broke in the same elbow and all on the front arm.
The reason for this long note is two fold.  1. Before I call Girard and start complaining.  I wonder if I am the only person that has had this problem?  Is it at all possible that the problem might be in the awning itself?   Every person that has metal experience tells me that the casting is bad.  I have attached two photos.   Thanks for your help.

David
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 02:02:54 AM by 5 »

Tom and Pam Brown

Re: Girard Awning
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 07:28:09 PM »
David, I had another issue with my Girard and ended up calling the general manager as Andre seemed to be in charge of the no department.  I encourage you to speak with upper management.  If you get the same answer I then would be at every rally in front of their display booth with signs and pictures of yours.  I think I would also get your insurance company back involved as they may be able to apply a little pressure.  From what you have posted its time for this nightmare to be over.

Good Luck.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 02:04:06 AM by 5 »

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 07:39:48 PM »
There must be hundreds of these units out there on coaches.  I have three automatic awnings and two manual awnings.  It sounds to me like something is wrong with the installation which is putting the awning arm into a bind.  I do not know what your specific awning's model number is nor do I know its configuration and attachment design to the coach.  But... if the same part continues to fail on your awning, but not on all like awnings generally, then something is likely different about the installation.  Just my opinion...  I am not an engineer, nor a technician, but I did grow up on a farm and have operated tons of equipment.

My thinking is the joint is in just enough of a bind to cause a flexing resulting in crystalization of the metal around the joint such that a failure will occur after a time.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 08:23:48 PM by 9124 »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 09:28:18 PM »
David,
It sounds to me like the problem was caused by improper adjustments at the original installation, and a failure to correct the adjustment problem by the shop that replaced the next arm that failed.

Girard will be at the FMCA rally in Gillette, or the FMCA rally in Perry Georgia next March if you are not going to Gillette and can wait that long. Girard's maintenance technicians can replace the bad arm and readjust the awning to prevent a reoccurrence of the problem.

Gerald    

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 10:07:33 PM »
Certainly it's possible the casting composite is bad, but if it keeps happening in the same place and only since the new awning installation, I'd be suspicious of a faulty install alignment.  

The photos of the break indicate a twisting force perhaps, or an improperly sized component.  We've had unusual noises when our CareFree awning opens and closes, even after lubrication, but darned if I could find the source of any binding.  Ultimately the aluminum awning roll end sleeve wore against the steel drive shaft, probably related to the telltale binding noises, letting the awning come open on the highway.  My point is that these modern awnings with multiple arm components seem to be highly sensitive to even the slightest misalignment;  I'm not sure an owner or even a certified service center is capable of spotting it.

I reckon the optimal thing is to have the manufacturer themselves examine the installation at their facility or perhaps at a large rally such as FMCA or Good Sam.  If others can bolster your metal fatigue/casting composite failure theory by duplicating your experience, you are on the right track asking here.  But also try casting your net on larger forums such as FMCA, iRV2, or RV.Net.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Steven Link

• BAC Member
    • whitehousevet.com
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 04:39:02 AM »
David,
I have had this exact problem and I can tell you that you must have all the arms (my awning has 3) in proper alignment. If not excess pressure is placed on one of the arms and the articulating joint WILL BREAK! Been there done that twice!!! I have installed an arm myself and adjusted it according to girard's specs. They will provide you with this if you ask.  Did you get the photos I sent in August of last year? If not I can try to re-send.

Steven Link
Steven & Penny Link
Springfield, TN
2009 Marquis,  Cat C-15

George H. Wall

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 01:24:54 PM »
David, Steven is SPOT ON!!  Adjustment of arms is CRITICAL!!  Been there, Done that!!  Henry