Author Topic: Interior lights-- replacing  (Read 9094 times)

Ron Langdon

Interior lights-- replacing
« on: August 15, 2013, 05:19:32 AM »
Jerry  Carr mentioned he had replaced his interior lights with LEDs. Great idea! I started the task today and met with complete resistance. The manual says to turn the rim counter clockwise to get at the bulb. So far, I have had no success using that method. Does anyone, including Jerry, have a successful method for getting to the bulbs?.
Thanks, in advance

LarryNCarolynShirk

Re: Interior lights-- replacing
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 05:25:05 AM »
Ron,

Some of those lenses are easy and some are difficult.  They do turn about 1/8th turn to release.  I have used a strap wrench on some.

Larry

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 06:37:31 AM »
Like Larry says they can be a pain in the butt. Try working the collar in both directions and pushing it towards the ceiling at the same time. Once the ring and glass is out sometimes I have also had to unscrew the unit and removed it from the ceiling to get the socket at the right angle to work the new bulb in. They are not user friendly....swear every time.

Later Ed

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 08:22:03 AM »
Assuming you are talking about the inset halogen ceiling and under-cabinet lights, I've had luck using materials between my fingers and the ring that provide flat surface grip, while pressing upwards and turning to release the cantered rim catches.  The upholstered ceiling material presses down enough that the retaining trim ring gets squeezed too hard to easily turn and disengage, but some under-cabinet units are mounted at the factory so tightly against solid wood as to offer no upward release relief at all, and can be much harder to finagle loose.

Mere bare fingers are often not enough, so I've used latex gloves or the perforated rubbery anti-skid stuff many of us have on hand to keep things from sliding around on counters on cabinet shelves.  Anything that provides some tackiness against the ring under upward turning pressure usually can be made to work, albeit requiring tenacity at times.

Joel
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 08:34:49 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 03:54:35 PM »
I've already done mine. The hardest part is getting the two prongs on the new bulb in the two holes, after you finally get the cover off. I bought some that had prongs that were too long, and left part of the new LED bulb sticking out of the fixture. I used needle nose pliers to cut them to the proper length, and they work fine. To install the under cabinet bulbs in the kitchen, I had to completely clear off the counter top and lie on my back, working upside down. There was no way my back could tolerate the twisting and turning required to do that job standing up! The bulbs under the slide out were very frustrating as well. Sitting on the sofa, the distance to the fixture was just far enough that I couldn't see the little holes with my glasses on or off. I finally used pillows and cushions to raise my height, and was able to see the holes well enough to install the bulbs. Of course, when you are doing this job...there is no light! I brought my halogen work light from the garage and lit the living room up like Buckingham Fountain! I wonder who designed the system where all three puck lights above the sofa are on the same switch??

Good luck to those who tackle this frustrating job!  ::)

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Keith Oliver

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 04:31:44 PM »
Just shows the factories give that job to the young guys who don't have presbyopia or back issues.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 04:32:35 PM »
Hi Ron, getting the glass cover off can be a problem but they will come off in some cases I would pull them downward (cabinets) until the pull out but they have a snap spring to allow you to push them back up. I did get the job done and the results are worth the effort.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 04:59:43 PM »
Ron,
I replaced mine also. When cutting  the leads to shorten them, you might want to use a file to smooth out the cut end. Otherwise the plastic socket might be pushed out of position. If this happens, just remove the screws holding the fixture in place, re-seat the socket and insert the LED. FYI, I left my under-counter halogens in place as I use them as  task lights and don't leave them on for long periods as I do the ceiling lights. Also, if you haven't done so, consider replacing the chandelier and bath vanity lamps. I found candelabra style LEDs at Lowes that look good and give me a lot of light. They were a bit pricey but worth it IMHO.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Norm Green

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 05:47:55 PM »
Can anyone list the model / part # and source of the LED replacement bulbs.
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN
2018 Entegra Cornerstone 45W
Previous, four different Beaver coaches

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 06:36:36 PM »
Here is a source on Ebay. The puck lights are G4 bi-pin.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Warm-White-G4-24-SMD-LED-RV-Marine-Cabinet-Lamp-Light-Car-Bulb-DC-12V-New-/330981251630?pt=US_Light_Bulbs&hash=item4d10051a2e

If you Google G4 LED replacement bulbs for RV you will get lots and lots.

The ones I bought in Gillette from this vendor were expensive, but 275 lumens. I cannot find any online anywhere else with that amount. They made me a deal on a bulk purchase. Scroll way down for the G4 bulbs.

http://www.jirahled.com/index.php?md=products

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 12:17:38 AM »
Okay, some multiplex puck circuits are dimmable.  Many LED lamps are dimmable.  The glitch I've found is that though an LED lamp may tout dimmability on its packaging, there is a lower limit on that range, a fact not mentioned on said packaging.  

I was disappointed in the ones I bought for our heavily used family/TV room ceiling cans at home, because I couldn't dim them down far enough for watching movies, etc., so I had to use them elsewhere in the house in less frequented (and less lighted) areas, diminishing overall savings.  I should add that by replacing our kitchen ceiling cans with Costco-bought LED's, that alone dropped our electric bill almost 10%, so though spendy initially, they will eventually pay for themselves, and then some with their longer lives  ;) .

Just curious if you fellows have tried dimming your G4 replacement LED's, and the result.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 01:26:55 AM »
Joel,
Haven't tried the G4 dimmables. The Utilitech 4.8-Watt (40W) candelabra lamps from Lowes I installed in the salon chandelier and bath are dimmable. No complaints.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 01:42:45 PM »
Ron if your going to Quartzite I would be glad to give you a hand
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Joel Buchan

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2013, 11:32:19 PM »
Hey! Just just replace the whole fixture. Once you get the old lens off. There are some good products out there. I had to increase the hole size on my up grade.

Ron Langdon

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2013, 05:25:23 AM »
Thanks, everyone for your responses. Called to provide emergency baby sitting so project on hold for a few days. Looks like it will be a task for our winter home in Palm Springs. Thanks again and have to say how much I am continually impressed with the help provided here, even for such a mundane task as this. Thanks again.