Author Topic: Coolant leak  (Read 5004 times)

Robert Mathis

Coolant leak
« on: January 08, 2010, 03:53:32 PM »
I have developed a minor coolant leak in my "07 Contessa. I have the ISl Cummins. It appears that the coolant is leaking from a connection where a coolant line enters the bottom is a black canister on the driver's side rear of the engine between the engine and radiator. Anybody know what this canister might be? I thought it might be an oil or tranny cooler? Also where is the coolant filter located on this engine?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 04:48:53 PM by 14 »

Gerald Farris

Re: Coolant leak
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 03:41:04 AM »
A coolant filter is not standard equipment on an ISL Cummins, and therefore your coach may not have one. As for the canister, I have never worked on that coach and engine combination so I can only guess. The best way to answer your question about the canister is to trace the lines that run into it and see what it is a heat exchanger for.

Gerald

Robert Mathis

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 03:30:54 PM »
I found my problem this weekend. It was as simple as an improperly installed hose clamp on the top radiator hose. I still don't know what the canister might be, but the coolant that was on it had actually dripped down from the hose connection. I guess when they installed the new engine, one of the mechanics was sloppy with the hose clamps. I straightened out the clamp, retightened it and then double clamped all the connections like I do on my boat. After running the engine up to operating temperature, then letting it sit over two nights, no more leak.

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 02:44:51 PM »
Glad it was  simple.

I noticed a coolent leak on the rear of ours after a weekend trio for the Disneyworld  Marathon Weekend. It was right under the water pump of the CAT but was relieved to find a loose hose clamp that allowed the leak above it on the heater/aqua hot connection. It had not leaked since the hose was replaced over 5 years ago.