Author Topic: Replacing Sharp microwave  (Read 10057 times)

Linda Garcia

Replacing Sharp microwave
« on: October 07, 2013, 02:20:28 AM »
We just purchased a 2005 Beaver Monterey Ventura 36 and the original Sharp Convection/Microwave, Model R-1870, is not working properly.  Instead of trying to get it repaired we'd like to
replace it with a GE Profile or other newer convection/microwave.  What experiences have others had and what things do I have to worry about beside measurements?  Does a higher wattage
cause any problems?  
Thank you in advance for any advice you could give me.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Replacing Sharp microwave
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 10:59:42 AM »
Linda
We have the GE 'Advantium' in our new to us coach.  This is the next step up from a micro / convection.

Carol says she loves it.

Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Bill Sprague

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 04:02:52 PM »
We liked the Sharp 1870 Convection well enough we bought a duplicate for our condo.   It replaced a microwave only unit.

When I installed it, I learned that they all measure about the same so they fit a standardized space.  The mounting brackets and methods that hold them up are different.  The cords may come out in different locations and venting can be different.  It takes two people to do it safely.  New holes had to be created and a different wall mount installed.

They all have to plug into the same sized 15 amp circuit in either home or motorhome.  

I re-learned the same lessons when I replaced my daughter's microwave.  

We use both the motorhome and condo Sharps daily and can't think of any reason to dislike them.  You may find you have a lot less hassle with a repair or by replacing with the same unit.

Good luck!

Joel Weiss

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 12:40:10 AM »
We replaced our Sharp with the GE Profile and love it.  It holds temperature much better and the all stainless interior is easy to clean.  Plus there are built in hooks on the walls that can hold racks (two are included) which makes it possible to cook multiple things at the same time.  

I noticed recently, however, that the Profile we have may have been "promoted" to the GE Cafe appliance series.  That probably means the price has gone up.

Linda Garcia

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 08:58:03 PM »
We appreciate all the input on replacing our microwave.  I'm sure I'll have more updating questions as the weeks go by.  :)

Thanks,
Linda

Larry Fritz

• BAC Member
  • 98 Patriot Ticonderoga - 37' Blue/White, 3126B CAT
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 12:16:09 AM »
Linda.  I replaced our Sharp with the SS GE profile microwave/convection unit about 5 years ago. After 3 years of  traveling on our "shake, rattle, and row" roads in our great country, the top front hanging bolts actually almost pulled up through the top of the very thin metal of the oven. Fortunately for us, I noticed this on a annual test of everything that could come loose or fail.

I fixed it quite easily by taking strips of 1/2" by custom length metal and bending a "turn/straight length/turn" and mounting one on each side of the lower bottom of the oven as a hanger. I anchored the top to the bottom side of the oak overhead cabinet. Painted them black and they are almost not noticeable. The problem is now solved. Two years later and all is well.

With two Stanley brackets at a hardware store, a hacksaw, a metal file, drill, drill bit, and a bench vise you can do it easily and virtually no cost.

This was done in our 98 Patriot 37' Ticonderoga.

Larry Fritz
Larry Fritz

Linda Garcia

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 08:46:13 PM »
UPDATE!!

Just had the old, original Sharp Convection/Microwave replaced with a new GE Profile and it came out great!!
Was a little worried that it might turn into a problem but the guys we had install it had the old one out and the new one installed in about 1-1/2 hour!  And, it looks fantastic!
Fits in the spot perfectly and did not require any new holes drilled.  Just a new back plate.

If anyone needs work done in Yuma, I highly recommend "SunBum", 4341 E 30th Place, 928-342-5208.  The owners are former Beaver factory people.  The mobile folks that work for them in the Winter are from Bend and go home in the Summer and have their own mobile repair service, "Accurate RV".  They are Jason and Vicki Wiggers and are also former Beaver employees. In the Summer they can be reached at 541-848-9151, website www.accuraterv.com.  Jason and Vicki installed our new microwave and did a SUPER job!  

John Hennessey

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 09:30:24 AM »
We also had work done by Jason and Vicki while they were in Yuma and all I can say is OUTSTANDING!!!!!
John & Linda Hennessey
2023-Thor Omni Class C
2011-2023 - 2003 Marquis