Author Topic: No 120 to house from generator  (Read 4662 times)

John Bagwell

• BAC Member
No 120 to house from generator
« on: March 17, 2014, 01:38:01 AM »
At FMCA convention.  We were to have power but too wet to get in field. Running generator, but no 120 coming into house.  Any ideas !!!!
Jim Nichols came by and looked at it.  He said someone may can help.
Thanks.  John.    
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 03:49:35 PM by 5 »
John Bagwell
2001 Monterey 36ft.
CAT 3126B
Toad. 2020 Ford Ranger

Edward Buker

Re: No 120 to house from generator
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 01:57:43 AM »
John,

In the storage bay overhead is probably a grey box that houses a transfer switch. It is usually installed near the inverter charger. There is a breaker box near it. Switch those breakers off and then on again along with the one on the generator. If that does not get you online take the cover off of the transfer switch box and measure the voltage at the relay and see if you can see 120V. If not the genset is at fault. If you do have 120V and it is available on the input and output of the relay, but not going to the coach, check the main breaker in the rear panel by switching it off and on again.

Later Ed

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 03:20:42 AM »
Ed
We did switch off and on all breakers including the gen. 120v from gen to transfer switch and out of transfer switch. Had him turn air conditioner on and while on I cut off the main breaker (50) then back on and  the gen died. Was flashing 3 times until we restarted. His house batteries were at 12.0 and the gen was idling. Sub panel in bay from inverter,  ah  I did not check voltage there just switched breakers off and on. Generator was always at idle except when air conditioner was running. Inverter was not charging and no inside 120v lighting only 12v at cables. I'll check in the morning.  I suspect the inverter is not charging or inverting.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 04:15:00 AM »
Jim,

If I understand the scenario and what you wrote this is a genset with an electronic inverter built in. If the air unit was running then the genset and built in inverter must be operational. When you kicked off the main breaker and the genset died when you kicked it back on it may have had too much of a sudden load to come up off idle and died....maybe.

I think you are implying that the main house charger inverter system in the storage bay is not passing the 120V through it, nor is it supplying 13.8V or so to charge the house batteries. There is a 30 amp breaker in the main AC panel that feeds that, you might try flipping that breaker on and off. I am a little fuzzy on what is happening but it sounds like you have a meter and some experience, so take some time and trace where you are losing the AC 120V. It could be at the input to the charger/inverter and like you say that is not working even as a pass through.

Later Ed

Dan Murphy

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 12:27:43 PM »
I had a similar problem last month. I had a bad transfer switch which was a TRC model 41260 I believe and it would not allow the power thru from the genset.
The relay inside the TRC switch just kept going off.We held it in with a small piece of wood and allowed the genset to operate but replaced the transfer switch and have had no problems since.
Just remember if you bypass the switch do not. Plug in to shore power until you remove whatever. You use to keep the relay open with.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 03:49:17 PM »
Jim,
I believe you are right in suspecting that the inverter is the problem. If the A/C unit works on the generator, the generator and transfer switch are functioning. Since no one has said what year and model coach we are trying to repair, I can not be more specific than to tell you to look for breakers on the inverter and to check the input and output voltage at the inverter.

Gerald

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 01:50:11 AM »
Sorry I didn't answer yesterday.  Anyway next morning found no ac out of inverter so looked for reset on the inverter. Down low out of sight found and reset.  He was back in business. Oh and it was a 2001 Monterey.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 03:06:34 PM by 5 »
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9