Author Topic: Replacing canvas awnings - where?  (Read 7959 times)

Richard Cooper

Replacing canvas awnings - where?
« on: April 30, 2014, 07:13:59 AM »
I have Zip Dee manual awnings on my bedroom windows and living room (drivers side).  Also, have large automatic Girard awning on passenger side.  I wish to find someone to replace the canvas or whatever material it is.  How do I go about doing that and who do you suggest?  I am in California at present, but by June will begin a trip toward Bend, OR and into Sequim, Washington where I hope to find a storage facility for my coach.

How much should I expect to pay for the materials and installation all the way around?

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Replacing canvas awnings - where?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 02:38:49 PM »
Replacing awning material seems to be a simple procedure for most RV repair shops.  The shop simply needs to know the manufacturer and model of awnings you have, the correct color, and the measurements.  The shop orders the awnings all made in advance and ready to install from the awning manufacturer.  I had three topper awnings' materials replaced while in Yuma this past Winter.  My coach has five awnings total.  The information was gathered, the order placed, and after several days the replacement awning materials arrived.  It took two guys under one hour per awning for installation.  The cost was about $1,200.  One replacement was only a slide-topper awning.  The other two were slide-topper and pull-down window shade awning combinations (Omega).  All were Carefree of Colorado.  I could have had vinyl material installed at a much cheaper price (I think around $900), but I wanted to match the two other awnings' color and material which was acrylic.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Peter and Connie Bradish

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 03:08:41 PM »
For Zip Dee awnings see:
http://www.awningsbyzipdee.com/index2.html

We went to the home factory (96 Crossen Ave in Elk Grove Village Illinois) and had them replace the awning fabric on 3 smaller awnings and the big awning. We paid $300 extra to have the Beaver Logo on the big awning. Our big awning originally came with the Beaver logo on the center white panel. The outer two panels were blue. Total cost $1989.30 which includes the $300 for the Beaver Logo.

We made an appointment and went to the factory to have the installation. All workers we dealt with were friendly and helpful.

Connie Bradish 8)

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 04:25:06 PM »
Richard
Here is another place to check out...http://www.rv-motorhome-answers.com/Information-rv-replacement-awnings.html
They really sounded good to me.

Leah

Richard Cooper

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 04:38:38 PM »
I forgot to mention that I do not have awnings over my slide-outs.  

I want to use a color for the window awnings that stands out and gives my coach some pizazz.  Got beige on it now and it's a bit boring.  I want a green that looks good with the green exterior of the coach.

Also, thinking of adding an awning over the front door because the Girard does not cover the front door all that well when open.  Also, when it is windy I can't even have the Girard out.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 01:10:16 AM by 7165 »

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 06:11:36 AM »
Richard,

Check out Girard.  They have many fabrics available.  They are in So. Cal.

Larry