Author Topic: Rear slide stuck  (Read 7083 times)

Kim Ireland

Rear slide stuck
« on: June 02, 2014, 03:14:35 PM »
Rear slide motor won't activate to close rear slide on our 2003 Patriot Thunder.  First time it happened, plugged back into shore power and that did the trick. But now just get a "click" but no action when plugged in.  Is this a "tech required" issue or is their probably a simple fix?

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Rear slide stuck
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 03:54:01 PM »
Kim,
You may not be getting a full 12V to the motor brake that locks the slide motor when the slide is not moving. Check threads on "motor brake".
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Chuck Bayman

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 10:08:57 PM »
Kim

I just got done fixing ours and I have to thank Edward Buker for his post from May of 2013. I happened to print it off thinking it
might come in handy someday and it did. I followed just what Edward said he did and mine is working really good again. I think
you can find it in search under "Technical Support"  Bedroom Slide not working.

Once again thanks Edward.
Chuck  

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 04:15:17 AM »
Chuck,

Glad it worked out for you. The forum is a great spot to document what we learn so we do not have to reinvent the wheel over and over.... Good for you getting your slide working.

Later Ed

Kim Ireland

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 05:32:29 AM »
Steve, Chuck and Ed,

Thanks for your helpful posts on my stuck slide issue.  Ended up removing brake which resolved malfunction.  Tech Svc mgr at my dealer advised brake could be removed without affecting slide operation.

Kim

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 05:52:59 AM »
Kim,
Be sure to re-install brake or put some braces against the slide sides when it is in if you are going to drive it. W/O the brake, the slide can work its way out due to vibration and flexing while driving. I used a couple pieces of wood (closet rail) with sponge or cloth on ends to prevent marring the paint.

Steve
Steve
Coachless

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 03:23:58 AM »
Kim,
Steve is right about the slide motor brake. The brake needs to be repaired or replaced. Without the motor brake installed, the slide will fully extend when you turn right. It can even possibly cause damage and even come out of the coach without the brake.

Gerald

Kim Ireland

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 02:08:51 PM »
Steve and  Gerald

Thanks for the info.  Will definitely have motor brake repaired.  The possibility of the slide exiting the coach is not an option.

Kim

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 04:46:48 PM »
Kim, you sure don't want the slide coming out while driving. I had my l/R slide come out while making a right turn onto a main highway and it was very scary. This was due to being tied in with the leveling jack reservoir. I had some troubleshooting done on my coach for a jack issue and lost fluid in the reservoir, and the service facility failed to refill the reservoir. It could have been a severe accident but thankfully didn't happen.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Edward Buker

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 05:29:27 PM »
Kim,

If you spray brake clean on that brake shoe part and tap it on the metal frame work nearby see if anything comes out. Then with the brake in hand have someone power the slide in and out a bit and while the power is applied use a screwdriver and move the slotted center piece that goes on the motor shaft back and forth. It should start to free up. Then I put a couple of drops of machine oil on that center slot area where it made sense as a moving part. The brake is a little shoe out more by the perimeter and you do not want oil in that. These metals are not corrosion free materials and in time particles bind the brake up. You probably do not need to replace it. Once you have it so it locks and releases with the slide power switch you can put it back on the motor shaft and you should be good to go.

Later Ed

Bill Borden

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 03:34:51 PM »
After reading this post and others regarding the motor brake issues.  I followed Ed's steps to clean and lubricate the motor brake.  Our bedroom slide motor was stalling on the way out, but not on the way in.  It would stall enough that I would have to release the switch and press again to get it going.

So I followed Ed's advise and it is working better, it is still stalling but it continues without letting go of the switch.   Progress? LOL

So I proceeded to lubricate the rails, rollers and chain, no change in the stalling but the slide seems to move freely.

At this point I thought I would fine tune the stop limit setting to have the slide seal better and while I was adjusting that the whole died!  Nothing, it was like someone pulled the plug!

As panic set in, knowing that I would get a told you so statement about fooling with the motor brake, a calming feeling of knowledge came over me.  

Ahh!  The limit switch was stuck, so a couple of taps and a spray of contact cleaner later, all was right again.

So if this happens to you check the limit switches they can stick when dirty.

So anyone have thoughts why the motor stalls on the way out?
Regards,

Bill Borden
2000 Patriot Thunder
C-12 425 hp 
Cool, California

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 04:33:37 PM »
Bill,
The limit switches are normally closed to provide the ground for the motor circuit. If they are dirty, one of them may have a faulty contact or be opening slightly due to vibration during slide movement. Try  cleaning the  other limit switch and see if that helps.
Steve
Steve
Coachless

Edward Buker

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 04:51:08 PM »
Bill,

If your slide always struggles in the same portion of the travel it would likely be a mechanical issue. You could take some measurements and see where that point is. If it is more random then it could be electrical.

The ground connections that Steve mentioned could be involved given they are made through the limit switch and probably a connector to a metal grounded frame. If you suspect one of those limit switches, add a parallel switch that you can turn on while the slide is traveling in the direction you are getting the problem and see if that tends to help or eliminate the issue. If so you can change the limit switch out. Also check the ohms through each of the switches to ground and see if there is a difference. Being a spring loaded normally closed switch you are relying on a spring and the contact area to make a good connection.

Later Ed

Bill Borden

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2014, 07:19:20 PM »
Thanks I will check out your suggestions, your help is appreciated. And I will post what I find out.

The resource of knowledge alone is well worth the membership.

Now how are you guys at washing?  I could swing by.....

Thanks again,
Regards,

Bill Borden
2000 Patriot Thunder
C-12 425 hp 
Cool, California

Edward Buker

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2014, 08:09:30 PM »
Bill,

Vermont is pretty far to travel for a wash....

Later Ed