Author Topic: Fuel Filter Manifold?  (Read 10506 times)

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Fuel Filter Manifold?
« on: August 01, 2014, 03:40:16 AM »
The Beav is in for new fuel filters.  Shop says they can't get the fuel filters because they have been discontinued and the whole manifold (not sure of the exact nomenclature) has to be changed.  Sound right?  Pic of current set up attached (I hope!)
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Edward Buker

Re: Fuel Filter Manifold?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 04:01:02 AM »
Jerry,

That is not exactly right. The old filter version is not available but a retrofit kit was created to replace it and is still available. This is the link to the kit which is a metal bowl and a filter S3220P. Once the retrofit kit is purchased then all you will need for the future is the filter element S3230P.

http://www.parker.com/portal/site/PARKER/menuitem.de7b26ee6a659c147cf26710237ad1ca/?vgnextoid=fcc9b5bbec622110VgnVCM10000032a71dacRCRD&vgnextfmt=default&vgnextcatid=2913342&vgnextcat=RK12963+INTEGRATED+RETROFIT+KIT

Later Ed

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 04:03:30 AM »
Quote from: Edward Buker
Jerry,

That is not exactly right. The old filter version is not available but a retrofit kit was created to replace it and is still available. This is the link to the kit which is a metal bowl and a filter S3220P. Once the retrofit kit is purchased then all you will need for the future is the filter element S3230P.

http://www.parker.com/portal/site/PARKER/menuitem.de7b26ee6a659c147cf26710237ad1ca/?vgnextoid=fcc9b5bbec622110VgnVCM10000032a71dacRCRD&vgnextfmt=default&vgnextcatid=2913342&vgnextcat=RK12963+INTEGRATED+RETROFIT+KIT

Later Ed
Thanks Ed.  Does that kit cost $250 or so?  That may be what they are ordering.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 04:07:53 AM »
Jerry,

This is a more detailed description...

http://onemarineoffshore.com/uploads/onemarine_products/388.pdf

It is $90 including the filter here....that would be approximately their price, not sure about mark up and labor.

http://www.nationalfleetparts.com/rk-12963-parker-racor-integrated-retrofit-kit.html?utm_source=google-shopping&utm_medium=organic&gclid=CL7Jo9SK8b8CFWoR7Aoda2cAXg

Later Ed

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 04:21:57 AM »
Quote from: Edward Buker
Jerry,

This is a more detailed description...

http://onemarineoffshore.com/uploads/onemarine_products/388.pdf

It is $90 including the filter here....that would be approximately their price, not sure about mark up and labor.

http://www.nationalfleetparts.com/rk-12963-parker-racor-integrated-retrofit-kit.html?utm_source=google-shopping&utm_medium=organic&gclid=CL7Jo9SK8b8CFWoR7Aoda2cAXg

Later Ed

Thanks again.

Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Edward Buker

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 04:38:18 AM »
Jerry,

The only issue is that these units are original and the electric pumps tend to fail first. As long as the pump works then the retrofit kit with new filter can be changed and purged. They may or may not have checked the pump yet. If not have them do that before you order the kit.

The other bit of an oddity here is the screen filter, that is just a prescreen for the purge pump to prevent damage due to a piece of large debris being brought in. By design that screen will run about half full of fuel with the engine running and although it looks like a water separator it is not. Some mechanics have mistaken that air space in the screen filter as being caused by an air leak but it is normal for this design. If the pump does not work then there are some manual pump filter units by Parker/Raycor. Check for leaks and cracks in the clear plastic unit, if it looks aged or cracked that is available with some O rings.

Later Ed

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 04:42:06 AM »
Ed, not being a mechanic myself I'm not sure I understand.  It is running fine now, the kit is on order on the dealer's dime.  What pump are you referring to and can it be bad and the engine still be running good?
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 05:31:19 AM »
Jerry,
The current primary filter assembly that you have includes you electric priming pump. Do not let them remove it if the pump is OK. If the technician that you are dealing with says the pump assemble needs replacing because the filter is obsolete, find yourself a more knowledgeable technician.

The Racor kit that Ed listed will include a water sensor and the ability to bleed off water electrically. However, the Baldwin BF 1252 is a spin on replacement for your current filter, but you will loose the electric water sensor and electric drain.

The priming pump has nothing to do with the way that the engine runs. It is simply used to purge air from the filters after a filter change.

Gerald

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 02:28:26 PM »
Quote from: Gerald Farris
Jerry,
The current primary filter assembly that you have includes you electric priming pump. Do not let them remove it if the pump is OK. If the technician that you are dealing with says the pump assemble needs replacing because the filter is obsolete, find yourself a more knowledgeable technician.

The Racor kit that Ed listed will include a water sensor and the ability to bleed off water electrically. However, the Baldwin BF 1252 is a spin on replacement for your current filter, but you will loose the electric water sensor and electric drain.

The priming pump has nothing to do with the way that the engine runs. It is simply used to purge air from the filters after a filter change.

Gerald
Thanks Gerald, unfortunately I'm not sure what he is going to replace.  He pointed at the assembly, said that he couldn't order the filters anymore and had to replace the whole thing.  I guess I will have to ask some more questions.  The dealer is paying the bill so I didn't sweat it too much but I don't want them to do anything that will screw it up.  He did say the new part was about 250.00.  Not sure if that was part only or part and install.  
How many filters are there and are they both in the same place or separated?
Can the filters shown be replaced with currently obtainable parts without replacing things?
Problem is that I'm kind of stuck with the mechanic that the dealer uses because they don't do their own chassis work.
Any general info and advice is appreciated.  I think I need to go to RV Tech school!!  

Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Edward Buker

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 02:56:29 PM »
Jerry.

As Gerald pointed out, if the pump is working then we would not have them remove this assembly. There are two possible filter replacements available, the Baldwin unit and the factory kit from Parker Raycor. In your photo the white filter on the left would be replaced and there is a Cat final filter not seen in your photo that should also be replaced. Both the filter in your photo and the Cat final filter would be purged of air using the electric pump that is within the unit in your photo. Lastly the clear plastic unit in your photo with the screen in it should be wiped down while in place and examined for age/cracks/seeps and replaced with new orings if it is in question. That part is also available. If your mechanic does not understand this system and how to bleed the filters with the electric pump then you need to find someone who is qualified given that the air has to be out of the filters before the engine is ever cranked over. The engine fuel system can become air bound. One last caution, the filter when removed can start siphoning fuel from the tank given how low it is mounted. Either the tank should be down in the 1/3 tank area or the nose of the motorhome on an incline so as not to get siphoning.

Later Ed

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 03:03:18 PM »
'Thank you both.  I think I have a much better understanding now so I can talk to them and bring copies of your emails for help.  Thanks again!!!
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Edward Buker

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 03:25:03 PM »
Jerry,

Gerald may want to comment on this and I do not remember the details exactly, also each model coach/year can be a bit different. I think to get the purge pump on the rear start switch may have had to be in the rear position with the ignition key on. I am really not sure on this. The suggestion here is if the electric purge pump does not immediately come on with its switch try and see if it activates using the rear run position switch if you have one.

Later Ed

Gerald Farris

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 04:02:44 PM »
Jerry,
On most coaches the electric purge pump is wired directly and if so the power light will be on for the control (a black rectangle with the power light in the middle with the air purge button on one end and the H2O (water) purge button on the other. The pump will come on for a timed cycle when you push the air purge button.

If you need more help, just call me and I will walk you through the whole system, you have my number. If you have misplaced it, you can find it in BT and the BAC Directory.

Gerald

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 08:48:26 PM »
Thanks for responses.  We were on a short 5 day trip so I couldn't get on-line.  I do have the air/H2O purge controls.  My main question was do I really need this new manifold thing that the mechanic wants to install.  Karl called me and explained the system.  If I understand him correctly, it appears that the filters that I have now are still available and I can clean the pre-filter in the plastic bowl myself.  As you-all know I am real new at this so I hope I understand correctly.  I'm going to tell them to hold off on the new manifold thing unless I hear from you all that I don't really understand, which is a very real possibility!  
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Edward Buker

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 09:52:30 PM »
Jerry,

As long as the electric pump runs you do not need anything new other than the filter kit from Raycor that was mentioned and a Cat high efficiency fuel filter that works to replace the one you currently have which may or may not be the high efficiency version.  Cat has improved the filters over the years and I do not know what is currently being used in yours but the high efficiency versions are better. Cat dealers or truck shops can supply the Cat filters and they are not expensive in the scheme of things.

On the Raycor unit once you clean the outside of the plastic bowl and can see the inside of the bowl/screen. If the screen and clear plastic bowl is clean, crack free, and is not seeping any diesel fuel then I would not take it apart. The person that changes the filters needs to clean that bowl, if need be, given the whole system gets purged of air all at the same time.

What strikes me here as a possibility is that the mechanic you have may not have knowledge of this system and is recommending changing over to some system that he is familiar with. If that is the case then you may need to find someone who is familiar with this system. You might want to ask if he has ever serviced one like this before. It is not rocket science but there is a process that needs to be followed. Hope this helps.

Later Ed