Author Topic: Slide out motor  (Read 2491 times)

Jim Shaw

Slide out motor
« on: September 06, 2014, 01:47:53 PM »
My rear slide would not not go in or out. When I tried the switch the 12 volt lights would dim so I took it to a local RV Dealer. They replaced the motor including the brake. They gave me the old motor assembly and when I got home I put 12 volts to the motor with jumpers cables from my car battery. If i reversed the cables it changed directions. I could not make it stop by trying to hold the shaft with vise grips. What I believe to be the brake assembly is still attached to the motor bur has no wires on it. Is there a way to check the motor and brake other than putting it back in. They charged me over 500.00 labor to replace it so I assume it is quite a job. Has anyone replaced one? Thanks for any advice.

Edward Buker

Re: Slide out motor
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 02:06:48 PM »
Jim,

The motor and brake are electrically wired in parallel with each other and when you power the motor on the brake gets released to allow movement of the slide. The fact that you can power the motor and it turns without the brake being powered would indicate that the brake is not working otherwise the motor would be locked. You could wire them in parallel and try again. With no power applied the shaft should not turn and the brake should have that locked.

It is possible that the motor was shorted or the brake had things locked all the time and with power would not turn. That would give you the dim light due to a large current draw because the motor could not turn. That can also blow a fuse or kick a breaker. Best guess is that in the process of removing the motor and brake assembly whatever was causing the issue resolved itself so it now is working. I cannot say if it unit would stay that way over time or revert back to being problematic. What is clear is that the motor and brake assembly was the issue given no other scenario would dim the lights. Hope this helps.

Later Ed